1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to fit a Hi-POwer with a South African 17rd mag in the IDPA box?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't, but in IDPA, aren't you limited to 10 rounds anyway? What's the point of an extended magazine?

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are limited to 10 rounds.

I have two choices:

1) buy 10 rd mags and use them for both IDPA and carry

2) buy SA 17rd mags and use them for both IDPA and carry

If the gun will not fit in the IDPA box with a SA 17rd mag in it, then option 2 is out.

Either way I go, I'll eventually end up with some of both styles of mags. Right now, I have limited funds to spend.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How about buying *one* 10-round magazine, and the rest 17-rd magazines. Use the 10-rounder for the boxc check and for the initial load (in the holster), and the other mags for the reloads from your belt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What does a SA 17 round magazine cost? Is it that much cheaper than a factory hi-cap?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BobRowe,

Your suggestion is not acceptable. It's not within the rules to do it that way. The rules state that you must use the mags you start the match with for the entire match. It is certainly not in the spirit of the IDPA rules. Some local clubs may let shooters do it that way, as the match director for our local club, I won't do it that way.

Dorcas,

The SA 17rd mags are $20 each. The true "factory" mags are way up there. Mec-Gar 13 rd mags are $40 each. Mec-Gar 10rd mags are $15-16 each.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I've never tried to fit my Hi Power with the 17 round mags in the IDPA box, because I've never been asked to. The 17rd mags don't stick out of the Hi Power any further than a Wilson 8rd mag sticks out of a 1911, so I don't think you will have a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts