1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently managed to ruin the barrel on my 1991 Colt Gov't (let's not get into the details). Is it sacrilege to rebuild it with a Wilson Bull barrel and FLGR that I have left over from a CQB project?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I don't even know if Colt makes their own barrels for 1911's..maybe someone on here might know for sure....Brent???

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't even know if Colt makes their own barrels for 1911's..maybe someone on here might know for sure....Brent???
I was under the impression they did. Very few "manufacturers" make their own barrels though so I understand why people may suspect otherwise.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just missing a barrel link and pin. I'm gonna do it once the parts come in, and post the photos.

...don't judge.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I say go for it and enjoy it. It's your gun, you can do what you want to with it. There's no shame in trying out different things in your 1911.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sure. Why not?

There seem to be two types of Colt guys.

A) the die hard collector for whom anything not 100% correct and period perfect is a detraction - and - B) the shooters who like the "envelope", but only as a canvas to make the pistol their own. Sure, this is simplistic and MANY folks have both types of guns, or share both types of likes but you get my drift.

I love my Colts, but would not hesitate to modify one if that suited my needs. I've been blessed I think in that my last several ran like scalded monkeys right out of the box with pretty much anything I've fed them so no real need to change the innards.

I say do what ya gotta do Brother. And party on Garth. :)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just get a new barrel from Colt?
new barrel costs money.

I have a "match grade, drop in" (whatever that means) bull barrel sitting on my gun bench.

It's calling me.

Putting one into my CQB made it more fun to shoot. So, I'm itching to try.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Its your gun. I fit a second Nowlin barrel in 9mm to my Colt XSE LW Commander in 38 Super, and don't see any ghosts when I am shooting 9mm in it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I recently managed to ruin the barrel on my 1991 Colt Gov't (let's not get into the details). Is it sacrilege to rebuild it with a Wilson Bull barrel and FLGR that I have left over from a CQB project?
Yes he will, unless you use all certified, pasturized, homogenized 100% pure Colt parts you will end up like the girl in the Blair Witch Project, filming yourself with snot running out of your nose while the Ghost of JMB chases you around the woods!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A drop in bull barrel might be a drop in barrel in a gun that was bull barrel from the start but probably not in a gun that was conventional barrel in the beginning.
Good news: barrel fits.

Bad news: it's too cold to use the garage to machine the slide to fit the reverse plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts