1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty patient guy when it comes to 1911's. I know they can be testy, and need to be properly broken in, so I waited. And waited.

Finally today round number 500 went through my Eclipse Pro II and yet STILL I get FTF's at least once every 2 mags (normally once or twice per mag) which is admittedly better than it was when it was new because until 200 rounds EVERY OTHER round would FTF.

Sometimes slight, and I could give it a gentle tap on the rear of the slide to get it to chamber, but in most cases the round would only be 1/3 of the way into the chamber.

So after firing off the last 100 rounds at my local range, I had them pack it up and ship it off to Kimber for repair.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with their repair? Will they actually send it back right the first time, or will I be going round and round with them?

What was your wait time? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? Longer? I know that this can greatly vary, but at least I can try to ballpark it.

IMO it is an extractor issue as well as the barrel needing to be throated a bit, but we'll see what they say. If it comes back defective I'll just buy a totally different pistol. I've had my eyes on a Nighthawk anyway....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine was about 3 weeks and yes they did get it right. Sometimes 500 is not enough and had one go to about 800 - 900 before it was 100%. My deal with Kimber went well with talking back in forth on the phone a couple times.
I can tell you now it will come back dirty because they will shoot the crap out of that thing. They sent a note with everything they did and Im very happy now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I sent my Pro Tactical II in a while back for a broken firing pin and from the time I sent it in to the time I got it back was just a little over a week. I was pretty impressed. Fixed my baby and no more problems. Good Luck on yours.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I sent off my Ultra Carry II and it was back fixed in 1 week and a day.
Tomcatt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well so far i am feeling very confident. Thanks for the feedback, I hope to hear some more!

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
I wish everyone the best with their Kimbers, and I own five. Something above bothers me greatly...if a problem gun is shipped, repaired, and shipped back in eight days, it seems like a simple problem that SHOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY. I'm disappointed in end-of-the-line QC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sometimes QC is hard. When working with machines(what a gun is) sometimes they work sometimes not. If the person doing the QC makes the gun go bang bang,it is good. How many rounds of how many brands should be fired in each mag sent with a gun? At how much extra cost of each gun? What upsets me more is when I receive something that has missing parts, poorly matching, or broken parts.
If the service department works with and fixes your problem that must mean that the Company wants to uphold their reputation and keep you as their customer.
Sometimes I have to remind myself of these things when my van is in the shop, the tv, ac, or furnace has a problem and someone has to fix it. When our house was built we met with the builder almost daily and still we had some problems, but because they wanted to do it right they did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Kimber Warrior that continued to experience failures to feed during break-in even after 600 rounds. It was returned to Kimber and they had it back in my hands in 12 days....FIXED! No malfunctions since returned from Yonkers. It's become a favorite.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Break-in by the end user is nonsense and nothing more than a manufacturing shortcut.

Do ya think the Army fires 500 rounds from their M9s before trusting them for issue and combat? Sure doesn't. They're good to go out of the box.

During a tour of the factory in Maryland a few years ago I personally witnessed that the slides on the new M9s were practically impossible to cycle by hand. They're all placed on a jig and machine cycled hundreds of times, cleaned, lubed, test fired, and shipped.

Yep, they're broken in by the factory.

No reason every pistol maker can't do this.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
BanditSRT8

You will probably have your pistol back fairly quick. Though if it is truly fixed may depend on what they say they did to fix it. From your description it sounds like your barrel has a very tight chamber and your feeding problems were caused by the case mouth catching on the shoulder of the barrel (i.e. the flats between the throat and the hood). This situation is not unheard of with Kimbers, particularly the Gold Match.

Before we go blaming Kimber for this problem you need to understand that it is really a result of improperly crimped ammo, and the ammo is catching on the barrel. Minimum dimension chambers (i.e. Match chambers) are very highly desired by competition shooters. Though the down side is you really do need match grade ammo, or at least ammo with a match grade crimp, in order for the ammo to feed right. If you returned your pistol dirty (which is a very good idea), they be able to deduce what is going on by looking at the tracks in the powder residue. If you sent the pistol back clean, they may not think to look for this.

When your pistol comes back, if they say that they reamed the chamber, or polished the chamber, you will probably not have any problems. If they say they adjusted the extractor, you probably will have issues. If they did the latter, go shoot your pistol using the same ammo that gave you issues. If it feeds great. If it still has issues, try a better grade of FMJ ammo, and also premium JHP ammo. For this sort of testing after you have had a failure to feed, I suggest Federal ammo. Start with a box of American Eagle FMJ, then step up to a box of Classic FMJ, and as a final step try Match ammo or Hydra-Shok ammo.

The reason for this ammo progression is most bargain brands and grades of ammo can be pretty inconsistent, and as the time interval since the last machine maintenance increases, the consistency (including crimp quality) drops off. As you step up in any manufacturers ammo line they put more effort into making the ammo more consistent from round to round, with their match and premium JHP ammo getting the most attention. Of all the manufacturers, Federal seems to be have the best consistency across their product lines, even at the low end.

Once you have tried the ammo tests, you may decide to switch brands/grades of ammo, or you may decide to return your pistol again. If you send you pistol back you may need to tell them what to do. More than likely they will need to bevel the barrel flats into the chamber from the throat up to the hood and polish the chamber, or they will need to ream the chamber out to a larger diameter and polish it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
just received my tle/rl last week from yonkers. pistol was sent in for failure to feed issues (EE slide). turn around time less than three weeks.

work performed:
new ie slide
chamber work
new pushrod

taking it to the range finally today, been a long week of hunting. going
to run 500rds through it today and tomorrow and see what happens, fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
jim293 said:
I sent my Pro Tactical II in a while back for a broken firing pin and from the time I sent it in to the time I got it back was just a little over a week. I was pretty impressed. Fixed my baby and no more problems. Good Luck on yours.

:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:
You really sent it to the factory and paid for overnight shipping for a 5 dollar part... installable in about 1 minute??? wow!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine had a trigger/seer problem. Took it back to the shop. They sent it out and I had it back in a little over a week. The parts were replaced and the feed ramp polished. No problems since and I shoot mostly WWB target ammo.

·
Registered
329 Posts
DevilDave1911 said:
:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:
You really sent it to the factory and paid for overnight shipping for a 5 dollar part... installable in about 1 minute??? wow!
No I did not pay for shipping. They sent a tag for it. There was no way I was going to pay for shipping on a gun that had less than 6 rounds of ammo shot through it. This it what they did for the Shipping in which they paid for.

Push rod replaced
Push rod adjusted
Extractor Adjusted
Grip Safety adjusted
Recoil spring replaced
Slide stop adjusted
Replace firing pin.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful and positive repsonses.

I have fired good factory range ammo through it, and even some tsts on my carry ammo (CorBon) and also tried some Golden Sabers for the hell of it. Has nothing to do with the quality of the ammo... it wouldn't chamber anything.

We'll see how it does when it comes back.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You will have it back in your hands before you know it. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Last year my Kimber went in for a slide swap (EE to IE) because I was experiencing all kinds of FTF's and FTE's. Back then the wait time was about 6 weeks. But, that's because they were doing so many slide swap-outs they were behind in getting additional slides and trying to meet the demand for new pistols at the same time.

When I got it back Kimber not only changed out my slide but had done a number of extra things that included polishing the feed ramp, adjusting the extractor, polishing the barrel chamber and breechface, and installing an ultra ejector.

Bottom line....I haven't had a single problem since. It runs flawlessly! Kimber got it right!

Hopefully you've provided Kimber with a good detailed description of the problem(s) you're experiencing. From other threads that I'm reading, the current turn around time is about three weeks.

Think positive! Let us know what you find when you get it back. :rock:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, as expected there are issues! BUT not with Kimber!

I went down to my shop to blow off some more rounds through my new HK P30 and figured I'd check the status of my repair. After dealing with a rather crappy attitude from one of the attendants, I called Kimber on my own from inside the shop.

Nice guy answers the phone, and asks me to verify 3X what my serial number is... he does so because even he was shocked to see that IT HAD JUST ARRIVED THAT DAY to Kimber!!!

Over two weeks my gun sat in the gun shop without being sent off. I'm sure you can imagine how angry I was about that.

So now my ACTUAL wait begins. I'm sure Kimber will get it done quickly, but I wonder how long my local shop will have it back before calling me?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check with Kimber to see if they can send it directly back to you. You'll have to be home to sign for it though. Or, I'm not sure about this option, you might be able to have the carrier hold it at the local shipping hub and notify you to pick it up. I sure wouldn't want one of my guns laying around for a couple weeks, that's how things disappear. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts