1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Les will build a 1911 in 10mm?

Just wondering...

·
Banned
549 Posts
I asked a few years ago and went with a custom built one.
They will sell you a frame and fitted slide (40S&W) then you can build it yourself or send it to one of the other shops.
The time was mostly waiting for Bar-sto to fit the 10mm barrel.
It is really nice, after all the time taken to gather parts and have them fitted.
Good luck on your build/Search.
One note, he did build a few 10mm guns, on the premier type, back in the early/mid 90's. you may have to search for one.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I guess I wouldn't know why he wouldn't.
If not, order a .40 and have a local gunsmith open up the chamber to 10mm, or, have a 10mm barrel fitted and you can trade off.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I cannot think of a good reason why he would.

The 10mm is, if anything, a fringe cartridge. It's popularity has seen its zenith and there are only a realtive few remaining devote's. This is not said to disparage the cartridge, just to put it into perspective from a manufacturing point of veiw.

The issue is in the bbl. Baer buys blank bbls from Freddy Kart and machines them to his specifications. He uses a proprietary rifling (landing) design, upon which his reputation for legendary accuracy has largely been forged. So, to re-tool for a fringe caliber, when you are selling every single pistol you can produce, in the calibers in which you already produce them, and are tooled-up to produce... just makes no sense.

Add the fact that Dan Wesson makes a decent, mid-range 10mm and that Fusion is making a really nice custom 10mm... the margins become even narrower.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
He built one for me but that was over 5 years ago. A few years back another collector called and Baer said he would not as was relayed to me.

It appears that some 10mm fans were beating the tar out of the baer's with super hot loads and then complaining about it so Baer said no more.

This is all second hand info to me so call if you want to know the straight scoop.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Kimber made a limited run of their Stainless Target II in 10mm. I have stumbled on two of them. This one had been back to Kimber for 30 LPI front strap checkering and fancy grip panels. It was used but unfired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts