1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I read some posts and replied to some. I read a posting from a regular here on USGI. It said you should have put that on USGI. And I want to state that this person having a pre series 70 NIB is impressive. I will never stop one or the other. Collecting Colt 1911's as long as freedom remains. And coming to this site to gather and give my experiences. Thank you for your similarity if in only one way. And anyone seen a cheap (under $7,000) Singer lately?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Singer and cheap in the same sentence? Gee... I'd like to see that!

I bet there are still a few Singer's out there in someone's underwear drawer just waiting for you and me. If DSK doesn't beat us to it!

737 Heavy. I am guessing you are left seat or right seat in one of these birds?

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Hey 737,

Having a pre-70 Colt was my dream since I was a little boy and saw the one my dad had. I actually bought several before finally finding one that was NIB, and that was only through chance. My only suggestion to you is gather the money together first, then start some serious looking. There's nothing worse than finally finding something when you're broke!

As for directing stuff to the USGI forum, I just know there isn't enough activity. I noticed part of it is due to others posting related subjects in the other forums just because they have more traffic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a mechanic on the Boeing 737. I can't fly as I am diabetic. And now that i've been in the industry for 10yrs. I don't think i'm missing anything. Its fun to sit up front on flights. But the seats and room in the back can't be beat. Starting with America West this month. It will be a challenge since i've never touched an Airbus A319 and A320. But on their 737's i'll feel like an old pro. Anyway i'm going to try to reenter with this username. In any case i'll not miss much time with you all.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
A Singer M1911A1 is the Holy Grail of 1911 collecting. 500 were made by Singer Sewing Machine Co. in 1942 to satisfy an expirimental Gov't contract. It's estimated that only 70 or so still exist today, and a mint sample typically fetches $20,000 or higher.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet they all exist actually. Maybe not in the 1911A1 configuration. I've talked with a few that have them and have had others. And have sold for in the $8000 to $10000 range. I mean lets face it how many collectors have $20000 dollars for a 1911? I would think that all of them are still in 1911 configuration. And all I want in any condition at all is 1. My collection will begin and end on that day. It is highly sought after and unfortunately when any of us find one must be aware of a fake. I talked to a guy about a year ago that had the Canada WWI 1911 pistol. I don't remember name but valued same as Singer and even more rare. My Dad told me the Singers were the best made pistol. Not tight or loose tolerences. Just perfect. So keep searching and keep a reserve of cash and bingo. hope hope hope ahhhhhhhhh. I feel fortunate to have a Remington UMC. The baby of my bunch, small as it is. I'm still proud of it and would'nt part with many for twice what I paid.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
You're thinking of the North American Arms 1911's made in Quebec, Canada. Only 100 were made, and the war ended before they could be delivered to the US Army so they weren't accepted. So they're collectible, but are NOT true GI 1911's in the strictest sense of the word. And believe it or not they are not as valuable as a Singer in most collectors' eyes. It's all in the mystique.

The Singers were almost all delivered to the Gov't and thrown into the pool of GI .45's, leaving them at the mercy of attrition. But I agree it seems like there are more than 70 out there. Since it is the single most faked 1911 that's probably why. I would just luuuuuuuuuuuve to have one, but I can never forsee justifying $20K for a handgun. Actually, my current dream is having a 99% Colt Transitional, if you know what that is. Only $4,000 or so, which sounds cheap by comparison!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DSK are you refering to the BB transitional made in 1968 . Those are'nt real easy to find but go for $600 to $900 I think.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
I wanted one of those too once until I learned they're no different than my pre-70, except for the BB serial number. No, I'm talking about the first run of military M1911A1's in 1924, in the #710000 range, that were still marked "Model of 1911 US Army" on the slide because the M1911A1 designation wasn't official yet.

BTW my pre-70 was made in 1969. The BB Transitionals were made in 1970 right before Colt switched to making the Mark IV/Series 70 pistols.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 01-05-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Saw it. Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately it's already bid at the max price I'd pay for it and the reserve hasn't even been met yet. With a bore in that condition and the visible wear (not to mention what we can't see) it's a 90% piece and worth about $1800-$2000. Still, if it doesn't go too much higher I might be tempted...

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 01-05-2001).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, if were not too careful, this USGI site could be shut down for too much activity!

It's a joke guys....it's sort'a dead here most times.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
You'll notice most of the posts here are by maybe five people. Me, M1991A1, dpcdivr, Ramjet, 737-200. Gawd, we all sound like a bunch of covert ops!

I wish more of the hard-core folks from the M1911 collector's forum would come over here. The format over there is just plain, well... plain! But it's nice to ask those guys some obscure question like "is this the correct original barrel for my 1911" and get ten responses.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Gotta tell ya guys, I really enjoy the rather light-hearted conversation on this site. The collector's forum is good for tech content, but quite dry and unemotional. You guys are excellent individuals who aren't afraid to share personal experiences and thoughts...stuff other than just serial #'s. Kinda makes this hobby way more fun! The way I look at it, between this site and the collector's forum, I get the best of both worlds. Life's good!

------------------
Make It Hot!

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Actually dpcdivr, you might have noticed a couple threads going on the collector forum, one that I started. It seems the guys are a little abrasive and a bit too serious over there. I simply asked what they thought of that Colt Transitional seen on Auction Arms, and the reply I got gave me the impression they think I'm a fool to even consider the weapon! So much so that the actual owner of the gun came on and had to defend HIS reputation too! 1911 collecting can get very serious when it comes to the risk of spending thousands on a fake, but c'mon guys it's also supposed to be fun!

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
dsk:
Yeah, I watched that. Don't know many of those folks, but get the feel that they're stodgy old guys who always wear slippers and rarely leave the den. Ya know, I've sold a few high priced pieces sight-unseen to folks, and always gave them a signed money back if not satisfied statement. Nothing has ever come back. Most folks pretty damn honorable, IMO, despite the skepticism.

------------------
Make It Hot!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts