1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very dissapointed at the heavy gritty trigger and was amazed how sharp the edges are. I have stoned the edges better, but it is not done yet. What will springfield do for me under warranty ???? The trigger I want is not a fancy 2 lb job, but something lighter and crisp. The loaded was supposed to have a better trigger as part of the package. I had to order mine so I could not see it before purchase. The other loaded fullsize guns had a much better trigger than mine and impressed me. Does this board get read by anyone at springfield????? Does this board have any contacts to aide customer service ???? The gun does not malfunction. but it is not exactly what was advertised either.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Disassemble the pistol and put a drop of Break Free CLP or a dab of Tetra Gun Grease on the hammer and sear surfaces. This will probably help. I lightly stoned the bearing surfaces of the hammer and sear because they sere coated with the Armory Teflon Coat along with all the other parts. Be very careful to "polish" not remove metal or you can have big problems.

You can reduce the trigger pull weight by gently bending the middle leaf on the sear, hammer and disconnector leaf spring but be very careful no to over do it. Bend it from the bottom of the leaf.

If you're uncomfortable with trying any of this, take it to a competent gunsmith who specializes in 1911 performance work.

BTW...Springfield pistols are "Production Guns" just like Colt, Kimber etc. They just have more options. You woulkd be lucky at best to get a "World Class" trigger job from any of these guys out of the box.

As far as trigger weight, don't expect Springfield to lighten it below 5 lbs. The gun factories are concerned about law suits from Accidental Discharges.

As far as the sharp edges, I got SA to "Soften" them and refinish my TRP when I sent it back to be properly "Zeroed".

All in all these are very good pistols, and I am very happy with my TRP. I know that we want custom type work for $800.00 to $1500.00, but that's not going to happen. Custom full house guns as you know run in the $2,000.00 and up range.

·
Registered
110 Posts
TAckerman,

Was all that was wrong with your TRP just shooting low? The reason I ask is because my Armory Kote TRP too is shooting a little low. In the manual it says that Spingfield pisols are sighted in to shoot what they call 6 o'clock, basically set the bullseye on top of the front sight. If I aim this way it will hit low every time. At first I thought it was just me pulling it a little low but I just picked up a new stainless TRP and it shoots dead on POA per the manual.

There is also a very small wear mark in the Armory Kote finish on the slide where the dust cover makes slight contact. I was wondering if they would relieve the dust cover a little and refinish the gun while at the same time correcting the sights. Was your refinish job done under warranty?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Wayward,

The only thing wrong with my TRP was that it shot 5-6" low at 25 yards POA, and the bottom of the slide serrations would literally slice my thumb as I use the "Thumb on the Safety" firing grip.

6 O'clock hold is an arbitrary guarantee. No way would a 6 O'clock hold on a 12" Bullseye at 10 yards be practical. Anyway, if 6 O'clock hold Zeroing is their claim, the pistol would shoot high from point of aim, not 5-6" low.

They refinished the pistol because they had to"Dehorn" the slide serrations. Other than that, I put 500 rounds through it without a single malfunction using Wilson Magazines.

Actually I got a "Staus Check" done on Monday 12/10 as I am waiting to get it back, but it should only be 4-5 more days. They actually re-did the sights, took it out and test fired it for Point of Aim and are now haing it refinished with new Armory Coat.

This is all covered under the warranty.

I would bet that they will refinish yours due to the dust cover rubbing the slide. Call them and ask. They are very customer friendly. They pay the freight both ways. It will be a total of 6 weeks wait.

·
Registered
110 Posts
TAckerman,

Sorry, I misread your post. I saw that your gun was shooting low and you were getting the sights fixed and a refinish. I somehow missed the part about the sharp edges and was wondering why they were going to refinish the gun for free. Sorry bout that.

With my Armory Kote TRP at 15 yards I have to line up the tritium dots to the bullseye and it still hits a few inches low. With my stainless TRP at 15 yards I set the bullseye on top of the front sight and I hit dead center. I'm also more accurate with the stainless TRP, probably because the trigger pull is about 2 lbs lighter than the trigger on the Armory Kote TRP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts