1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got two new blue steel magazines from a gunsmith friend today. Not sure of brand. They have "Colt 45 Auto" stamped on removeable floor plates. There is no pony stamped on bottom, so I don't believe they are Colt brand. Empty magazines will fit into my 1991A1 with no problem. When magazines are fully loaded, 7 rounds, a great deal of pressure is required to get them to move the last 1/16" or so and "click" in. Will these magazines "wear in" with use?

·
Registered
594 Posts
It could be a couple of things.

1) A bur at the magazine catch hole. If it's really bad, you could use a file to clean it up. Don't go overboard though!

2) If the mags are new, it could be spring tension. If this is the case, yes they will "wear in" over time.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DM-SC, thanks for the info. I checked for burs on magazine hole and found none. I stuffed each magazine full with seven rounds and left them for a couple of days. They did loosen up and work OK. I used them in my first ever try at an NRA Action Shoot today. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
DM-SC is correct however I would like to add that assuming the mag is okay, one should insert them a bit assertively. I say assertively not aggressively. In other words, don't slam the crap out of them but slap 'em in firmly. These are machines made of steel and other metals, they won't break from what I am describing. If I try to put my mags in as if I were afraid of scratching or breaking something they never seat correctly. My brother did the same thing and could never get the mag in the last 1/16 or so of full seat...without smacking it pretty hard. If he had done it right to begin with he wouldn't have had to hit it hard. I had him remove it and start over.

When I told him to be a little more forceful everything worked fine and still does.

Good luck,
Regards,
Galileo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts