1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a dealer tell me a couple of years ago that Wilson magazines don't work in Kimber guns. He said the Wilson mags don't lock the slide back in Kimbers.
Any truth to this?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oneminute,
They may or may not work in your gun. You will not know for sure until you try as some guns are more tempermental than others. The slide locked back fine on the Kimber I had with Wilson mags.

------------------

·
Registered
287 Posts
oneminute,
My Kimber locks back w/my Wilson 10rd mags. I don't have any of the Wilson 8rd mags. I have had great performance out of three Chip McCormick 8rd mags in my Kimber.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use Wilson 8 rounders in my Kimber Classic and have never had a problem with Wilson or any other 8 round magazine. Actually, the only other 8 round mag I have used was a CMC.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers. I have had several other brands of 1911's except a Kimber and have been looking at buying one.
Just wanted to make sure the story was a bunch of hooey before putting my money down!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by oneminute:
I had a dealer tell me a couple of years ago that Wilson magazines don't work in Kimber guns. He said the Wilson mags don't lock the slide back in Kimbers.
Any truth to this?
Not completely... My Kimber swallows Wilson's, and is exclusively reserved for Wilson Mags.

ANY 1911 with an improperly fitted, or adjusted Slide Release can experience this issue.

Most 1911's though should have no problem with them, but a solid workout, and function check is required before one switches to anything new, particularly in a DEFENSE gun, though a "Game Gun" would also benefit here too.

Enjoy!

·
Administrator
74,689 Posts
The first Kimber I had wouldn't lock with Wilson mags, FYI. I solved that by replacing the slide stop with one from Wilson (oddly enough). Trust me, it's worth it to replace the slide stop if necessary to ensure reliability with Wilson mags. If it doesn't lock with Wilson's then that also means it's marginal with other mags.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
If it won't work with Wilson mags you need to fix your gun. They are the industry standard of excellence.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts