1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have one of these? I have a low SN gun with Nite Eyes and the Parkerized finish. I'm somewhat curious as to what these things are worth these days and if there's any collectors value associated with them due to the short run of the line.

Seems the 1996A2's were some of the first, if not *the* first semi-custom/production guns on the market. I like the fact that mine has BulletProof parts, and not the MIM parts found on lower end Wilsons and Kimbers these days.

I'm just starting to get into IDPA shooting this summer and think the 1996A2 will serve me well. It's a heck of a lot more accurate than I am and is put together very well. I feel I got my money's worth and then some. My shooting buddy is probably going to be getting a Kimber soon, and in handling them in the gun shop they just don't feel as solid as the Wilson.

Anyhoo, just checking if anyone else owns one, can fill me in on the history of the product line, highest serial number, and what people think about this gun.

TIA

·
Registered
100 Posts
JacRyan-you get that from Tom Clancy? I have a Wilson 1996-A2.Bought it new in 96 or 97. I had to send it back twice to Wilsons,but it is good now.I might be ruining the collector value of mine but I'm shooting the heck out it and enjoying it. In the near future I intend to have low mount bo-mars installed on it and have it hard chromed as well.Its my carry gun when I think I might need one. Good shooting and have fun with that A-2:JS

------------------
Front sight,align,press

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I always thought the 1996 A2 was a good value. Have been looking for a used one in decent shape for some time now.

If any of you guys want to sell contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Had mine since 1997. Parkerized, Nite Eyes and Ambi safety. Mine is very accurate and had ZERO malfunctions since day one. It has been a great pistol and I wouldn't part with it. (Sorry JiminCA
)

I've looked for another but rarely see them for sale. Kinda wonder if they received a little more attention from the smiths than the later models.

Here's a pic of mine

JSP

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joey:
Yes, it's a screen name. Kind'a from Clancy, but it's basically just a plain sounding name. I started using it as a writing psuedonym during undergrad and when AR15.com asked me for a screen name, it was the first thing I thought of.

JSP:
Thank for taking such a great photo of my gun! I too had an ambi safety installed by WC, though I know later on they started selling them with these as an option.

Does anyone know anything about the length of production, last serial numbers, and why Wilson discontinued them? Did they receive a bit more attention than the Millenium 1911 does now? Are they comparable in fit and finish to the Protector series?

I'm extremely happy with mine and won't be getting rid of it. It goes whether it's dirty or clean. Only problems I've had out of it have been feeding the first round of WAY out of spec ammo from 8 round WC mags. If I ever need to shoot questionable ammo again, I'll only load 7 rounds.

·
Registered
802 Posts
SonT

Thanks - I shot that when it was brand spankin' new. Shortly thereafter the finish got uglier from barricade drills and other fun stuff...

JacRyan
Geez - I coulda sworn that pistol was mine
I'd like more info as well - probably need an insider at Wilson for that. Terry Peters of PT Partners can probably answer a couple of those questions.

Joey
Out of curiosity, what problems did you have with yours?

JSP

·
Registered
100 Posts
JSP, When I got mine from the gunshop,I took it home and looked it over and noticed the sights were not centered in the dovetails.The pistol was roughly sighted in but the sight bases were almost hanging out on one side. There was also a heavy scratch down to bare metal on the slide behind the front sight. I probably should have noticed it in the gunshop but I left as soon as I got it to enjoy it by myself. I called Wilson and they said they were sorry and to send it back and they would fix it. I didn't shoot it much before I sent it back. So I sent it and they fixed it. I took it out and it was shooting about 5 to 6 inches high at 25 yds and about 6 inch groups were all I could get out of it, I thought maybe it was me and got out a couple of my other fixed sight guns and could shoot 2 inch or so groups with them and so I tryed different loads and still the same. I called Wilson and they said send it back and they would make it right. So I sent it and wrote a letter telling them I was put out to put it mildly. Other makers for similar $ promised a set degree of accuracy and I thought the least they could do was the same. In any event when it came back the 2nd time, it had a noticable tighter barrel hood,slide and bushing fit. It also shot better than I could shoot it.Some groups at 25 yds have approached 1".I must say now it is like I thought it should have been to start with and has been fine since. It feeds spec ammo like butter,works with wc 8 and 10 rounders flawlessly and just will not choke. I'shot it around 1500 to 2000 rounds and am well pleased now. I don't guess I should be too hard on Wilson because they did fix it. Maybe they could have been a little tighter on quality control. I'm not going to get rid of it though.JS

------------------
Front sight,align,press

·
Registered
802 Posts
Joey

It's disturbing when you hear of problems like that on any gun, much less a Wilson. I'd be really PO'd, but at least they do take care of problems. Still it bothers you when something that far off is able to slip through.

The 96A2 was my first Wilson, and it was and still is a flawless performer. Very tight, probably capable of an inch at 25 yds (wish I was!) and has had no malfunctions in thousands of rounds, most of which are reloads.

It's "break-in" consisted of firing two 8 rd mags of reloads to make sure it functioned, followed by a 5 day 2500+ round handgun class. It didn't hiccup or even slow down, so I decided not to clean it to see if it would quit. Never did. (That's not SOP for me - I religiously clean my guns but wanted to see what it was capable of) Needless to say we "bonded", and it's been good ever since.

I do prefer the newer 463 sights over the older style on my 96, but I'll probably leave it as is - maybe hardchrome at some point.

Glad your probs were taken care of.

JSP

·
Registered
100 Posts
JSP,belive me that's exactly how I felt.I think they were turning them out at a semi production type rate and maybe they let mine slide throug the cracks, but when I called their hand on it they done the right thing.
One other interesting note on mine is the serial no.,the last two digits is 45. I'm having low mount bo mars installed in mine in the next week or so and I also plan on having mine hard chromed in the future. Good Shooting:JS

------------------
Front sight,align,press

·
Registered
9 Posts
I acquired my 1996A2 from one of our fellow forum members. It is blued with polished slide flats. I think it is a fairly early model (serial number WC001xxx). It is my first and only 1911 I've ever owned. I can't be more pleased with it. I've put over 1200 rounds of my cast reloads through it without a hitch. It has an excellent crisp 3.75 lb. trigger pull and will push my reloads close to an 1.0" at 25 yards. I've shot nearly 100 gophers with it so far this spring. It is my constant companion here on the ranch. I used it to place 21st out of 60 at a Steel Challenge-type match (I shot IDPA CDP rules from an IWB holster with the gun covered by a vest. Most of the other guys were shooting Limited or Open IPSC classes.) This was the first match I'd ever shot. Needless to say this gun is very special to me. Did I mention that I really like my 1996A2?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Frontlander

That's excellent!

Heck of a 1911 to start with - now you're spoiled

And welcome to the forum BTW...

JSP

·
Registered
9 Posts
JSP:

I know what you mean about being spoiled. After a month of shooting my 1996A2 I sold my Glock 19. I had previously thought the Glock was the epitome of a fighting pistol. Next to the 1911, both aesthetically and performance-wise, the Glock just faded into insignificance. I still love my magnum revolvers and carry a .44 Mountain Gun when the critters have claws and fangs. But the 1911 just can't be beat for self-defense and recreational shootin'.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well said.

I'm a fan of many pistols, including "The Big Ugly" (Glock 21), but have yet to find a pistol that feels, handles and shoots as well as a good 1911.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts