1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think Wilson might bring back 38 Super to their line up after awhile? Or at least do a limited release after some time? Im a huge fan of Wilson and 38 and im not thrilled to have to consider going through a different manufacturer. Im curious to others thoughts/insight. Thanks
Cameron

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Anything is possible but hard to think that they would bring it back as they discontinued it due to a lack of sales. Perhaps if enough people expressed interest in them coming back but contacts requesting are not quite the same as orders.

I’d love to see .38 Supers come back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything is possible but hard to think that they would bring it back as they discontinued it due to a lack of sales. Perhaps if enough people expressed interest in them coming back but contacts requesting are not quite the same as orders.

I’d love to see .38 Supers come back.
Yeah, I understand your point and agree. Luckily, I ordered a 38 Tactical Elite back in October and should be getting it in March. But I also wanted a Classic in 38 too

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
A best of the top tier status in business often encompasses a willingness/commitment to do some minor things that fulfill niche customer expectations but which may not yield a nominal accounting profit.

This has been my experience...but as has been said before, it's whatever the business ownership decides... it's their business. Customers only make suggestions, requests, etc.

As a pretty loyal Wilson customer and one with a substantial business background, I suggest bringing back 38 Super. But I am only a customer.

If I were invited as a business consultant, I'd suggest that offering 38 Super provides a perception value to the business. Part of being arguably best in class in the 1911 world. A value that's substantive albeit not quantifiable. But nonetheless a perception value, a "yes we can" type of statement, a marketplace perception that leads to more future customers (not just for 38 Super).

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I don't get why they would discontinue the 38 Super... it;s not like a whole new line... just a few barrels (a few slides if theirs are cut different) to inventory. Has to be better than some of the stuff they have. Isn't that what semi custom means- a few choices to make the gun you want?

I know a lot more people with 38 Supers than 458 socom's or hammers and other oddball ar calibers.... maybe it's a regional thing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My dream is to one day have an Ultralight Carry Compact in 38 Super, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll bring 38 Super back someday.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I don't get why they would discontinue the 38 Super... it;s not like a whole new line... just a few barrels (a few slides if theirs are cut different) to inventory. Has to be better than some of the stuff they have. Isn't that what semi custom means- a few choices to make the gun you want?

I know a lot more people with 38 Supers than 458 socom's or hammers and other oddball ar calibers.... maybe it's a regional thing.
With a wry smile, I'm guessing that some of those AR chamberings represent Bill's (and entire Wilson family) fieldwork experimentation on feral hogs in Texas. Reminds of a line from an old Bond movie: "We use live targets as well".

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
With a wry smile, I'm guessing that some of those AR chamberings represent Bill's (and entire Wilson family) fieldwork experimentation on feral hogs in Texas. Reminds of a line from an old Bond movie: "We use live targets as well".
Ha! Agree. Didn't say I wouldn't want one... I just can't afford it all! ...lol

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
OP, not likely they will be bringing back 38S IMO...We are lucky if they keep making 45 over the next 10 years. Not hard to predict this, look at where all there new hand-gun design efforts are going (I'm talking about the significant stuff, not just a new grip patter, or downscale on the price/quality trade-off curve).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP, not likely they will be bringing back 38S IMO...We are lucky if they keep making 45 over the next 10 years. Not hard to predict this, look at where all there new hand-gun design efforts are going (I'm talking about the significant stuff, not just a new grip patter, or downscale on the price/quality trade-off curve).
You actually think 45acp will be phased out also? Isn't the 45 synonymous with the 1911? Thats concerning to me. If that were to happen, im assuming 9mm would be the only caliber available? Out of curiosity, in your opinion, why do you think 45 will decline?
Cameron

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
You actually think 45acp will be phased out also? Isn't the 45 synonymous with the 1911? Thats concerning to me. If that were to happen, im assuming 9mm would be the only caliber available? Out of curiosity, in your opinion, why do you think 45 will decline?
Cameron
I was being a little facetious...But it isn't outside the realm of possibilities...Bill Wilson has been on record in some of the Gun Magazines on his preference for 9mm (in quite a big way) for several years now, and his product line, at least the new development has reflected it in spades. The 45 1911 should be around for a long time I hope though. But it will always come down to a business decision, and lots of new shooters don't want to put in the effort to master 45 anymore - just easier to shoot a 9. Same thing as folks get old - kinda downsizing to less powerful loads...All market driven.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts