1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at wilson mags. I want to buy a few new 8rf mags for a gov 1911 which I carry alot in the winter ,and it seems to like thembest. I have been using wilson #47D with a standard .350" base pad even thow they are the best I have used yet, they tend to reflect alot of light. I seen there # 47 DAB that has a standard but aluminum ,350 base pad. Why would they use that and not steel? I prefer steel because I dont want to have the type of mag failure where the base plate pops off, the spring flys out the bottom as well as the shells. My other concern is the incertion of the mags might be less smoth since they are blacked and not as smooth a finish? I really want a black or non reflective mag finish. Any info on the 8 round 47DAB compared to a 8 round 47 D will be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that you MUST keep oil on the mag springs or they will rust. I was wondering what a good rust preventer is that wont kill the ammo.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
trial

Suggest trying whichever model Wilson mag you think you want; most likely will be totally satisfied (because they have experience with mags, ay?).

On springs I suggest Remington's Ren Dri Lube; it's dry.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't know what number they are, Wilson 47??, but I use the black coated 8-round Wilson mags that have the slim STEEL base pad in my KC and they work 100% of the time everytime. :) They are my choice for a carry mag.

I have NEVER used any type of lube on my mag springs. That just creates a situation where fouling/dirt can adhear itself to the spring or interior of the mag just that much easier and cause malfunctions.

Run your mags dry and you won't have any problems. I do not recall having a mag spring rust in either carry or competition mags.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Stay away from the plastic base pads or replace them asap. IMO they are only good for range work. They will eventually pop off like you said or slip and allow over insertion. Everyone I shoot with has at one time or another, had this problem. I fixed it with the standard aluminum pads. I need the length of the standard pad because I use magwells but don't want the weight of steel. Steel plates for a flush fit on a standard 1911 would be fine but even then I like the added length of the standard mags. Aluminum is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.