1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a pic of a 3" Kimber with the #47DOX 8 round Wilson mag? I want to see how far it sticks out beyond the 47OXC 7 rounder. Thanks.

·
Banned
855 Posts
Morning Juggernaught,
I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd jump in. The Wilson 7 and 8 rounders are the same size externally as long as the same size base pads are used for both. The difference is in the followers. If a standard, full sized 1911 magazine such as the 7 rnd colt, 8 rnd shooting star or power mag fits flush, then so will the Wilsons. Wilson makes a ten round mag called the Bureaucrat which hangs out below the frame an inch and a half or so on the full sized 1911. Some people like the 7 rnd Wilson for an extra edge of reliability in a carry gun. I've always shot the 8 rnd mags and had complete success with them. It does take more effor to seat an 8 rnd mag than a 7rnd, but you could always just load 7 in a mag intended for 8 if that bothers you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
jmcneil,

Wilson's Officer length 7 round mags are shorter than the Government model 8 round mags. Wilson sells an 8 round Officers mag, which is the standard 8 round mag with a different base pad than has an extension up the front, to prevent over-insertion and provide a pinky rest.

I think that was the comparison Juggernaut was looking for.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of my Ultra CDP with a Wilson 8 round mag in it.

·
Registered
222 Posts

they only stick out a little more than the 7 rnd. Wilsons mag w/standard bottom.

mine has a magwell though, yours may "look" like it sticks out more being that there's no magwell.

If i had to carry the gun, I'd stick with the Wilsons 7 rnders...the ones with ultra thin metal bottoms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
jmcneil,

they DO stick out.

unlike the full sized mags, the officers sized mags can only muster 7 rnds. in order to stay FLUSH.

The 8 rnders he's asking about are FULL SIZE mags with a funny looking bottom to accomodate the officer's shorter grip...as seen in the pic above.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm not big on the Ultra sized guns, but do carry a Kimber Compact Stainless every day...same grip as the Ultra. I carry with a Wilson 7 rounder, then two 8's with the adapter bases as back-ups.

·
Banned
855 Posts
I stand corrected! I didn't look at the Wilson part#'s, and assumed the question was about the 7 & 8 rnd full sized mags. You know what they say about assumptions :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All

To all of you who answered, thank you. That picture told me everything I needed to know. I'll stick with the 7 rounders for carry. I have a Compact with the Shooting Star Mag, and I've been lucky with no problems. Wilson's will go into my Ultra CDP though, just because...

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts