1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a Wilson Match grade barrel and their Match trigger put on my Smith 1911. My dad gave them to me for Christmas. Has anyone ever had and of Wilson's stuff added to their gun and what do you think. I personally have heard good things for the most part. My smith says he prefers Ed Brown. I told him next Christmas feel free to leave any Ed Brown products under my tree he wanted...lol.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I am getting my SW1911 back, tomorrow.

I had the stock Main Spring Housing, which
is Arched, CHeckered & Blued to a Les Baer
Custom MSH, Stainless Steel, Flat & Serrated.

Gunsmith suggested the hammer strut, Main SPring Cup,
and firing pin replaced with Titanium parts. Not that
much for the parts, and I'll keep the stock parts in the box.

I also gave the Gunsmith the WIlson Combat Tactical SLide
Release to check for fit. WHen I ordered this part I also
asked about the same styole WC Tactical Safety.

Over the phone, WC was unsure if their safety would
work wikth a S&W1911 which has the series 80 style
internals different from WC 1911s.

I also bought 5 of thier Elite Tactical Magazines,
stainless steel and improvements.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a new 1911PD and wanted an ambidextrous safety on it. S&W told me that I would have to supply the ambidextrous safety but that they they would install/fit it for me. I asked if a Wilson ambidextrous safety was compatible and they said yes, the 1911PD was compatible with after market 1911 parts. I have sent the gun and Wilson ambidextrous safety to S&W.

I don't think you'll have any problems with your modifications.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
For me, unless there was a good reason, I would not change the gun I had. I would look at these as parts for the next gun I am going to get or build.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dakota1911, I have to agree. People who buy a quality 1911 then replace all the internals should consider building a pistol, rather than re-building someone elses. They obviously have the desire and the aptitude. In the case of the SW1911, I read several places that many of the parts are by Wilson, Brown, etc., so some of these fellows may be inadvertetly replacing one first-line part with another. .

·
Registered
834 Posts
I bought a Wilson Combat Custom Magazine Well for my #108284. It didn't fit; the S&W grip is slightly larger than mil-spec. S&A Mag Guide did fit.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Got my SW1911 back - the WC extended slide release/lock works better for me, and I like the feel of the Les Barer flat serrated MSH. I'm going to
get the WC extended thumb safety next as it snugs in nearer to the frame/slide unlike the stock thumb safety that digs into my side
as it rides on my hip in a Milt SParks Axiom OWB.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have two of the carbon steel blued 1911’s. I have had the hammer, sear, disconnect, hammer strut and mainspring housing changed out to Ed Brown products. I also have one stainless model that I have changed nothing on. To tell the truth all of the guns shoot and run great. On the blued guns I simply wanted to have a blued hammer and to have a finer line checkering on the mainspring housing. So while the gunsmith was in there I had the other parts changed out. I went with Ed Brown parts on his recommendation. The Smith 1911 is a great gun out of the box and with not a ton of money it can be personalized to your needs. I would suggest that you get Mr. Stephen Camps book on the 1911. He gives very practical advice about the 1911. (Great book).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts