1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has used Wilson’s bullet proof wide thumb safety ??
Part # 659B.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like it?
Was the shaft large in diameter requiring a material to be removed in order for it to fit the frame and grip safety?
Do you have any pics?

By the way, your signature is awesome.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I like it fine.

The pin O.D. was fine for the couple Colts I put this safety on. I did file/stone down a bit of the width of the paddle though. They were a little wider than I expected. Also, I had to remove a bit of material to clear the plunger tube.

Also - and most importantly, all safeties still need to be fit to the sear for proper function.

Sorry - no pics. And thanks - Yoda was a wise oid Jedi.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I tried and did not like the wide safety. even after shaping. Pin diameter was fine, as stated above needs fitting. Never attempt to drop-in 1911 parts, especially thumb safeties. Just my experiences.
Best,

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I've got an unaltered wide on one gun and an altered wide on another. I'm LH

The right side needs to be narrowed a bit on the unmolested one as it kicks into my SS sweat shield.

My altered version, both shortened and narrowed, is 100% perfect

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used them and like a wide paddle for competition use, I lean toward the narrower ones for carry though. Fitting is generally required on safeties although I have never had a problem with the shaft.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where to find pictures of "shaped" wide thumb 1911 safety? The wide safety on my LB is full size, would like it a bit smaller and shaped. Trying to prevent the thumb from rubbing the slide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts