1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,.......a while back I picked my first Wilson, the Bill Wilson Carry CQB. It is a Compact, 4", cone barrel .45, all steel construction, officer frame, high cut, 30 LPI front strap, all steel construction. Night sights, green front, orange rear. Loaded it weighs in at 38.5 ounces on a scale. More specs are available at Wilson Combat.

Got to the range for a bit of an ammo test. This is said to have been fired very little, internally it shows it. The gun feels great and balances very well. It racks very smoothly. I would guess a 22 pound spring, need to check and order a few sets. I ran 240 rounds through it today, all 185gr. It ran flawlessly, I put forty rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it, then 200 rounds of ball. I had detail stripped it to clean, lube and install a Harrison solid, smooth, medium trigger. I lubed it with GunButter as it is getting colder. I did not think to bring any 230gr. It shot POA for me with the 185s, the test target from Wilson showed it shooting right at the6 o'clock with 200gr SWC Wilson ammo.....all at 15m. I would suspect 230gr would impact slightly higher.

I wanted to see how accurate this thing could be. I shot off hand, one shot every few seconds. Shot a ragged hole at 15m with the 1st mag with the Hornady. The Speer ball ammo I was using was not near as consistent. However, all remained within a 3" grouping.

I ran a total of 240 rounds through it with no malfunctions. No additional lube. Seems the previous owner did me a favor and broke kit in. It was flawless the first time out. This thing runs so smooth. I have nothing bad to say about the Bill Wilson Carry. All in all, I'm very happy with this gun. It may be my EDC, I still like full size over compact, but this is a great pistol for what it is meant to be.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice looking weapon sir. Seems as if it shoots as well as it looks. Enjoy it. You seem to have had a good day at the range.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've got one. Primarily, I bought it because my initials are B.W. and of course, so are Bill Wilson's, and his initials are on the gun. I bought it as a carry gun and I do like it, but it's too heavy for me as a carry piece. I've only shot it once (about 50 rounds) and I'm guessing that I'll sell it one day. If you're not weight sensitive, then I think that most guys would really love it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As a matter of fact I took mine to the range today. Never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SPR. Great write up. I too just got a hold of a BW Carry. I have always carried 5" guns however this I can manage to carry comfortably in my Crossbreed Supertuk. I agree that I do prefer a 5" gun and I shoot a 5" gun better however being realistic a 5" 1911 is kinda impracticle as an EDC unless you are OWB with a jacket.

Have fun and run it like you stole it!

Jason

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got one. Primarily, I bought it because my initials are B.W. and of course, so are Bill Wilson's, and his initials are on the gun. I bought it as a carry gun and I do like it, but it's too heavy for me as a carry piece. I've only shot it once (about 50 rounds) and I'm guessing that I'll sell it one day. If you're not weight sensitive, then I think that most guys would really love it.
I have looked into light weight frame models & the weight savings was not that significant vs the durability of a steel frame model. If the BWC is too heavy for you what is your preferred carry? A GOOD holster and belt generally makes a 1911 a very comfortable carry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
SPR. Great write up. I too just got a hold of a BW Carry. I have always carried 5" guns however this I can manage to carry comfortably in my Crossbreed Supertuk. I agree that I do prefer a 5" gun and I shoot a 5" gun better however being realistic a 5" 1911 is kinda impracticle as an EDC unless you are OWB with a jacket.

Have fun and run it like you stole it!

Jason
that all just depends on holster, belt and body type. I carry a full size steel model everyday too. What type of belt are you using?

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have looked into light weight frame models & the weight savings was not that significant vs the durability of a steel frame model. If the BWC is too heavy for you what is your preferred carry? A GOOD holster and belt generally makes a 1911 a very comfortable carry.
You're right about the weight difference. It's only a few ounces. I wish that I was comfortable carrying a 5" all steel 1911, but I'm not. I have a couple of good stiff gun-belts and several good holsters, but I'm on the slender side and just not real tolerant of the weight and size of full-sized guns.

My Bill Wilson Carry Pistol is a beautiful, well-made chunk of fine engineering. Besides the initials, that's why I bought it. I'm not demeaning the gun in any way. Plus, I have 2 other Wilson 1911s that I love and shoot, but don't carry. I'm an enthusiastic 1911 collector and shooter, and I'll always love them, but I carry a S&W 9mm M&P Shield.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
That's a smokin'-hot pistol. I don't know if it's the high-cut on the front-strap/frame or what, but I made the mistake of handling one of those at my LGS and I couldn't believe how good it felt in my hand. Since it was a compact, I was expecting pure dispappointment, and unfortunately for me, I wasn't disappointed, so now I find myself stalking the BW Carry.:) The experience really taught me a lesson not to pass judgement by grouping all compacts in the same ill-feeling category, because clearly they're not.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're right about the weight difference. It's only a few ounces. I wish that I was comfortable carrying a 5" all steel 1911, but I'm not. I have a couple of good stiff gun-belts and several good holsters, but I'm on the slender side and just not real tolerant of the weight and size of full-sized guns.

My Bill Wilson Carry Pistol is a beautiful, well-made chunk of fine engineering. Besides the initials, that's why I bought it. I'm not demeaning the gun in any way. Plus, I have 2 other Wilson 1911s that I love and shoot, but don't carry. I'm an enthusiastic 1911 collector and shooter, and I'll always love them, but I carry a S&W 9mm M&P Shield.
Makes perfect sense......the Shield has a rather large following. When I am not carrying a 1911, I carry a S&W 640 or a Rohrbaugh R9.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a smokin'-hot pistol. I don't know if it's the high-cut on the front-strap/frame or what, but I made the mistake of handling one of those at my LGS and I couldn't believe how good it felt in my hand. Since it was a compact, I was expecting pure dispappointment, and unfortunately for me, I wasn't disappointed, so now I find myself stalking the BW Carry.:) The experience really taught me a lesson not to pass judgement by grouping all compacts in the same ill-feeling category, because clearly they're not.
it does have a high cut,......the round butt takes the edge off the frame. Much more comfortable vs a standard Officer frame

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congrats on a fine gun. It's my most favorite pistol and I enjoy carrying it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.