1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a lefty and I have 4 1911's that I need to have ambi safety's put on. I purchased all my 1911's through my local LGS. I knew I wanted the Wilson Combat wide body bullet proof ambi's so I ordered them and my dealer said he would install them for me if I wanted.
I have 2 Wilson's 1 Nighthawk and a Cabot that need them. I know my dealer has very competent smiths but I was a bit leary, so I called Wilson and they said they recomended that they should install them and could work on all guns which I know this to be true as many of you have sent your firearms to them. They said if I have someone else do it,it would void my warranty for that particular part of the firearm.
Wilson said I could just send them the lowers for easier shiping and it would be 3 weeks or so. I also live about 3 hrs from there facility and do some hiking out that way so I could just drop them off while out there in a month or so.
Am I being a bit anal here or is this the best way to do it?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the warranty. If the local smiths are competent enough to perform the install, I would go that route. If you don't think they are, take your guns to Wilson.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
I'd go with your existing instinct/plan (direct to Wilson, only three hours away, and sounds like you'll be traveling in that direction anyway).

If any re-finishing (as just one example of "why") is needed, Wilson can do it to match.

While you're at it, give some thought on whether you might like a different sight(s) or a tritium refresh on any of your 1911s.

Just what I would do, but surely I'm not going to "knock" a good local gunsmith.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
....... They said if I have someone else do it,it would void my warranty for that particular part of the firearm.
Wilson Combat is playing CYA. In part because that's what gun makers do......and even more so because the part in question is a safety. So yeah...they're going to play CYA and tell you exactly what they did. Sad but true in todays litigious society.

Fitting a safety is 1911 smithing 101. It's not hard to learn...at all. No way in God's green earth would I ship 3 guns to WC and wait 3 weeks for them to fit 3 thumb safeties. There's no reason at all that a local smith couldn't competently install a 1911 thumb safety.

I learned to fit them myself and avoid hassles like this. I would suggest ordering a couple of thumb safeties...the cheapest you can find......use them to learn how to fit one. There are a bazillion tutorials on the web. You'll figure it out in a couple of hours...then you fit yours and never worry about it again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wilson Combat is playing CYA. In part because that's what gun makers do......and even more so because the part in question is a safety. So yeah...they're going to play CYA and tell you exactly what they did. Sad but true in todays litigious society.

Fitting a safety is 1911 smithing 101. It's not hard to learn...at all. No way in God's green earth would I ship 3 guns to WC and wait 3 weeks for them to fit 3 thumb safeties. There's no reason at all that a local smith couldn't competently install a 1911 thumb safety.

I learned to fit them myself and avoid hassles like this. I would suggest ordering a couple of thumb safeties...the cheapest you can find......use them to learn how to fit one. There are a bazillion tutorials on the web. You'll figure it out in a couple of hours...then you fit yours and never worry about it again.
Thanks man, I know my LGS smith is good and I have had them do some work on ther guns I just was a bit concerned do to the cost of these and not wanting them F"ed up in any way.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Collectively, it looks like we've returned you to square one, with votes for do it yourself, local gunsmith, and go to Wilson. So, it is returned to your choice.

Your own instincts should not be discounted. If undecided, I think you'd be wisest to go with your instincts.

As for my initial suggestion, I was taking into account the high cost, aesthetic qualities, and values of your specific 1911s. If your 1911s were on the low end of the price range (RIA, Taurus, etc.), I'd have given more weight to do it yourself ... I.e., aesthetic damage to a RIA is one thing; the same damage to a $3k to $5k Wilson Combat is a different deal (at least to most people who own guns at both ends of the price/value spectrum).

It might be worth noting that the BP ambi-safety is not identical to just any other ambi safety. I would first ask your gunsmith if he has EVER fitted a Wilson BP ambi. If he replies "yes, no problem", I'd feel better about going that route than if he's never done it before.

As to do it yourself gunsmithing for the first time, I sure wouldn't start on an extreme high-end gun. Fine firearms, on average, typically suffer far more damage from do it yourselfers (and gunsmiths that are little more than armorers) than from firing 1,000's of rounds.

I'm confident you'll make a good decision, whatever you choose. You know yourself and your local gunsmith far better than any of the rest of us here... we can only guess or make average/typical presumptions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Collectively, it looks like we've returned you to square one, with votes for do it yourself, local gunsmith, and go to Wilson. So, it is returned to your choice.

Your own instincts should not be discounted. If undecided, I think you'd be wisest to go with your instincts.

As for my initial suggestion, I was taking into account the high cost, aesthetic qualities, and values of your specific 1911s. If your 1911s were on the low end of the price range (RIA, Taurus, etc.), I'd have given more weight to do it yourself ... I.e., aesthetic damage to a RIA is one thing; the same damage to a $3k to $5k Wilson Combat is a different deal (at least to most people who own guns at both ends of the price/value spectrum).

It might be worth noting that the BP ambi-safety is not identical to just any other ambi safety. I would first ask your gunsmith if he has EVER fitted a Wilson BP ambi. If he has, I'd feel better about going that route.

As to do it yourself gunsmithing for the first time, I sure wouldn't start on an extreme high-end gun. Fine firearms, on average, typically suffer far more damage from do it yourselfers (and gunsmiths that are little more than armorers) than from firing 1,000's of rounds.

I'm confident you'll make a good decision, whatever you choose. You know yourself and your local gunsmith far better than any of the rest of us here... we can only guess or make average/typical presumptions.
Agreed, and there is no way in hell I would sit down and make any sort of attempt at this my self so don't worry about that one .
It's is kinda funny that the thread did make a full loop as far as advice and it seems to happen pretty often. I do appreciate everyone's input though as most people here are pretty well educated at this kinda stuff.
I have another thread going on Springfield page about my SA Pro I bought and my dealer just got a railed version in yesterday. I wonder which was more desirable. It appears it's about a 50/50 on that one as well. Hahaha

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am a lefty, and I started putting on ambi's 30yrs ago, because gunsmiths charged quite a bit even back then to install one, and I also found that quite often they didn't do a good enough job to suit me, anyway.

My suggestion is learn how to do one yourself, you will struggle with it, and sometimes it goes easy and sometimes it's aggravating, but after a little trial and error you will become an expert at getting them like you want them.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Wilson said I could just send them the lowers for easier shiping and it would be 3 weeks or so.
The "lower" is the expensive part to ship.
cause with or without the slide, the "lower" (frame) is considered the "gun" .

it'll cost you $60-$80 to ship it

I also live about 3 hrs from there facility and do some hiking out that way so I could just drop them off while out there in a month or so.
probably be cheaper than shipping

Am I being a bit anal here
donno.
are your pistols pristine?
are you the type that won't holster them for fear of wear?
do you put tape on your slide when shooting in an effort to keep spent brass "kisses" at bay?

if so, it sounds like you don't trust your local 'smith.
if that's the case, by all means have Wilson do it

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "lower" is the expensive part to ship.
cause with or without the slide, the "lower" (frame) is considered the "gun" .

it'll cost you $60-$80 to ship it

probably be cheaper than shipping

donno.
are your pistols pristine?
are you the type that won't holster them for fear of wear?
do you put tape on your slide when shooting in an effort to keep spent brass "kisses" at bay?

if so, it sounds like you don't trust your local 'smith.
if that's the case, by all means have Wilson do it

..L.T.A.
Pretty darn close minus the tape ! I decided in early Oct I'm gonna just run them out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts