1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to buy this one, it looks in very good conditions, it's expensive.
I never had a wilson combat but always Colts, what I ask is if this gun is easily controllable or if the 4" barrel gives some problems... I mean I would love to use it sometimes in practical shooting/IDPA, so I might need to double tap without much troubles...
How much is accurate over 25 yards ?
thank you!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice pistol. It should be quite accurate if you do your part. The 4" barrel is as easy to shoot as a 4.25" because of the heavier bull barrel. That being said, a 5" will be easier to shoot. Although you can clear leather faster with a shorter barrel; due to ease of shooting and the improved sight radius, most folks prefer 5" barrels for competition purposes.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've never shot in competition with mine but I can tell you it IS accurate at 25 yards. Mine is the CQB Compact Lightweight and is a beautiful shooter and my daily carry gun. However my full size has a little less felt recoil and is smooth as butter. I know you would love the gun -- just can't speak to competition shooting.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've got the Bill Wilson Carry version and shooting it feels different than my 5" CQB, but I don't notice any accuracy differences. I think the longer sight radius on the 5" makes high accuracy easier, but the 4" sight radius makes the smaller 1911 faster for me. I currently carry the BWC, but I confess the grip length on the CQB is a little better fit for my hand.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have the Professional, which has a 4 inch barrel. I can tell you it is very accurate and easily controllable with the bull barrel.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
First let me say that is one fine looking pistol! 4" guns are very controllable, and accurate! Here is a video of me shooting a .45 Sentinel (3.6" barrel).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18MQ7A7hjMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you get one I'd highly reccomand the flatwire spring and guiderod. 4" guns eat recoil springs rather quickly. The flat wire lasts 10x longer or more.

As far as competition goes, don't have the mindset of having to have a piece of gear to be in the game. The truth is, by the time you get good enough to be truly competative, people will give you guns (sponsors :)). The better mindset is to buy a guy you will use to defend your life and protect your family, then train with it! Go to organized shoots to be competative with yourself, constantly striving to master the fundamentals, and becoming a more proficient shooter.

When I go to three gun shoots, I request to not have a score turned in. I see my score, and know where I would have placed, but that info is for me, not everyone else. I shoot a single stack .45, and an 870 to go the other direction from the gamers.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
If you get one I'd highly reccomand the flatwire spring and guiderod. 4" guns eat recoil springs rather quickly. The flat wire lasts 10x longer or more.

The better mindset is to buy a guy you will use to defend your life and protect your family, then train with it! Go to organized shoots to be competative with yourself, constantly striving to master the fundamentals, and becoming a more proficient shooter.
^^^^^^
Good advice

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Always match the gun to the primary purpose.

In competition, with double-taps, and everything else being equal, a 4" barrel is at disadvantage to a 5" barrel. Carbon steel is also a more common choice for those engaged in serious competition.

On the other hand, if you'd like this particular gun for concealed carry and your interest in competition is not geared toward winning ... instead, you're there for fun and to do the best you can do with what you have, well, then this CQB is probably a fine selection for you.

BYW, I agree that his is a beautiful 1911 ... just be sure that this factor alone doesn't cause a lessened focus on your purposes at hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts