1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please compare the Wilson Combat CQB vs. the Ed Brown Class A Limited. If you could only have one, which would it be and why? Which is more reliable? Which is more accurate? If it came down to crunch time and your life depended on one or the other, which would you rather have by your side? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a CQB full size that I had Wilson upgrade to Bullet Proof parts and Ambi safety. it is 100% reliable and I am very satisfied. I think the Brown Class A Ltd is almost $1000 more then the CQB once you get all the goodies on it so at that price you're better off with getting a full house custom gun from Burns, Heinie etc...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, When I was over at Terry Peters' house picking up a CQB, I had the opportunity to handle a couple of the Ed Browns that he had in stock. The difference between the CQB and the Wilson is like the difference between a Porsche and a Jag. The CQB looked and felt like what it is: a finely tuned tactical pistol. The Ed Brown, on the other hand, looked like a work of art. It was simply beautiful. You'll have to decide what kind of pistol you're looking for and go that route. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Ivanhoe--I love these comparisons you're doing on the high end guns. Are you really going to buy something? Or will you be compiling the information for the forum? I have a CQB Compact, and a Brown Bobtail Classic. I posted a response on your Les Baer thread about comparing the TRS to the Brown.

I agree with Buckwheat's assessment of the Brown being a work of art. If you have the money, invest in the Brown. If not, buy the TRS. I've mentioned in past topics you've posted that the TRS is more of a distinctive gun than the CQB. Not to take anything away from the CQB. I'd probably being carrying that every day if there weren't a TRS. Or I'd carry the Brown Bobtail.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paladin,

Yep, I'm seriously looking. Ah, the pressure of making a good choice when you can't go wrong one way or another! If this indecision keeps up, I'll probably wind up settling for a Sig 220 :)

All the pistols clearly have their own merits and personalities. I've gone to their manufacturers websites, read all the magazine articles, and devoured all the posts on this forum. And here I am back at square one! Ultimately, the decision has boiled down to a Wilson CQB (or a stainless Protector), Les Baer TRS, or an Ed Brown.

I don't think I'll go wrong with any of them.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Ivanhoe,
My suggestion is that if you can afford the Brown, go that route. It's the Rolls Royce of custom, the only next step for you would be having Dane or someone smith a totally custom pistol.

If you want to save $1k, then join the TRS club. Wilson makes a wonderful handgun. I have all three. But the TRS says more about you than a CQB. You can always get a CQB, but you can't always "join the Club".

Another thought you may want to consider. Worst case scenario, you buy the TRS and want to try the CQB, the TRS will hold it's value and you trade it in. I doubt you'll want to, but your option will be there. The Brown's a no-brainer. That holds it's value, and whoever sells it to you will buy it back if you want to purchase a TRS or CQB after that.

If you haven't, you really should chat with Terry Peters and Allan Yoast. They are the two guys who know the technical details, can advise you best on retention of value, etc.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, you can't go wrong with the field you've narrowed it down to.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
15 Posts
perhaps I should pay attention to the thread date before posting...

Paladin,

Yep, I'm seriously looking. Ah, the pressure of making a good choice when you can't go wrong one way or another! If this indecision keeps up, I'll probably wind up settling for a Sig 220 :)

I posted this on the Brown picture thread, but since you mentioned the Sig, which IS a real nice shooter.... I got mine before the Ed and I still love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts