1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local shooting range/gun store just the other day, and there was a brand new Springfield Professional (Railed Model) in the case.

I asked to see it, and I noticed that the tag said "custom trigger job". As a proud owner of a Pro (non-railed version), I was kind of curious what they meant: some sort of new trigger job above and beyond the standard one done in the custom shop?

So I asked. Here is the answer I got.

Springfield fits the frame and slide, and they then send it out to Wilson Combat, who then puts in all of the internals and does a custom trigger job.

I kind of gave him a look but kept my mouth shut.

How far out of whack is that? Am I missing some sort of new info in the manufacturing world?

I am almost tempted to call Deb and ask, but I do not want to waste her time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe it's because Springfield's customer service and custom shop can rival Wilson's.

You were wise to keep silent. You can't fix 'stupid' or liars.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
That's one I haven't heard before. So that guy I see at The Single Stack Classic every year, that goes by the name of Dave Williams is just an actor?:)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
A lot of dealers will say anything to make a sale.
Yep, that's what I think too. Maybe he thought the "Wilson" name would produce a sale. I would take a Pro over a Wilson any day of the week.

·
Registered
959 Posts
IN THE BROWNELLS catilogue the wilson slides arnt made in the U.S. just thought i,d throw that in there. i noticed this when i was slide shoppng last night.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I was at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and some dealer tried to tell me that the Armscor RIA 1911 he had for sale (NIB $389) was made by Colt).:biglaugh:

When I explained to him that they were actually made in the Phillipines by Armscor, he told me that Armscor had "bought the rights" from Colt.

When I explained to him that the M1911 was a generic design and that no one "owned the rights", he told me that Armscor had "bought the original tooling" from Colt.

When I explained to him that the original Colt tooling was approaching 100 years old, he told me to get the @#&* away from his table.

Too bad...for $389 I was gonna buy one from him had he not been such a blooming idiot.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and some dealer tried to tell me that the Armscor RIA 1911 he had for sale (NIB $389) was made by Colt).:biglaugh:

When I explained to him that they were actually made in the Phillipines by Armscor, he told me that Armscor had "bought the rights" from Colt.

When I explained to him that the M1911 was a generic design and that no one "owned the rights", he told me that Armscor had "bought the original tooling" from Colt.

When I explained to him that the original Colt tooling was approaching 100 years old, he told me to get the @#&* away from his table.

Too bad...for $389 I was gonna buy one from him had he not been such a blooming idiot.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Gotta love morons that don't know what they're talking about. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is what bothers me about gun shops these days. There are very few guns shops that actually have professional and educated gun savy people working behind the counter. I long ago discovered that you do best by researching for yourself on this or other forums as the information provided is far better in most cases. Then you make an educated decision and purchase what you know you want/need and don't even ask the guy behind the counter for an opinion. That being said, I am lucky enough to have one gun shop in my local area that has knowledgeable people, but I stil trust my experience as much or more than theirs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't have held back from correcting that tool behind the counter.

Starting off tactfully of course because maybe he was misinformed/mistaken. But if he was outright lying or making **** up, I'd let him have it.

I work at a gunshop, I do my damndest to not give out misinformation. I try to not be "that guy." If I don't know, I say I don't know, or go to the manufacturers website and look up the information if I can. Sometimes with customers that KNOW something you just have to nod your head and try to make your escape.
But I won't do that at a gunstore. Maybe because I can't stand these jackasses making us all look bad.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've been told that on Christmas Eve, Bill Wilson himself goes around to each home, just like Santa and does custom work on all of the SA's that were bought in the previous year. I'm just sayin...............

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

He was sorta right. Colt is the nickname of one of the assemblers at Armscor!
Naw, I just made that up, like the guy at the table! :biglaugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts