1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new 1911 and have decided to try STI or Wilson Combat (although I may just stick with Kimber). Anyway I was on the Wilson website and I got sticker shock, I know you pay for quality but are the prices listed what you pay or can you get better prices from dealers? I'm looking for the CQB model probably in 4" but maybe 5" so what price should I expect to pay? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I also am looking for a new gun. I called a local Wilson dealer and he wants the price listed on the Wilson website for a certain pistol I'm lusting for. He said he had to charge that much to maintain his dealer status. Whatever! I try to never pay the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sitting down?

You could do better buying off the self, I opted to have it built to my specs. Sold a Kimber and some other toys that go bang to help ease the pain. Without a doubt the best firearm purchase I've ever made. Would do it again in a heartbeat, this one is a keeper. It is true, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have no idea what price you can expect to pay but

I have no idea what price you can expect to pay but in my experience a cash - not necessarily credit card +3% - serious inquiry will get an offer of a discount on ordinary stocking merchandise from any one of several fine dealers - often the dealers will stock a standard model with an option or two in order to offer something different and perhaps to make direct price comparisons more interesting. I have seen LEO and NRA and other such used to justify a discount while maintaining the fiction of a list price.

My own CQB was originally sold by a knowledgeable and friendly stocking dealer at discount.

·
Registered
691 Posts
mliebs8 said:
I'm in the market for a new 1911 and have decided to try STI or Wilson Combat (although I may just stick with Kimber). Anyway I was on the Wilson website and I got sticker shock, I know you pay for quality but are the prices listed what you pay or can you get better prices from dealers? I'm looking for the CQB model probably in 4" but maybe 5" so what price should I expect to pay? Any help would be appreciated.
You can probably pay less by buying from a dealer, and by buying from what he has in stock. The downside is that you get what someone else wanted. (Or what the dealer thinks someone else would want) If you have a gun made to your specs you will be much happier, even if you pay more. (Or I should say that at least I was. I actually saved by dealing with Wilson Combat directly and having it shipped to my FFL holder. This way I didn't have to pay 5% state sales tax)
One thing to warn you about though. You simply cannot compare mass produced 1911 style handguns to a Wilson Combat. The Wilson is so much better it is nearly unbelieveable, or at least it was to me. (I have previously owned a 1986 vintage Gold Cup and a 1991A1) I haven't gotten out the micrometer and the magnifying glass for measurements and extremely close scrutiny, but the fit and finish of the gun is flawless. And it shoots just as good as it looks, and far better than I am capable of. (The Armor Tuff coating also makes it soooo much easier to clean afterwards. A rather nice side benefit)

If you buy one I think you will be very happy with it.

·
Banned
315 Posts
I used to think the same thing and picked up two STIs for the price of one Wilson. Both ended up going back to STI because neither ran right out of the box. Long story short I now own 4 Wilsons and the STIs are gone....wished I would have picked up a Wilson from the beginning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I own one Wilson CQB (.38 Super)and it a superb pistol.

I have an STI in my range bag that's going back to it's owner today. It's a loaner. The STI is a .40 S&W single stack. The frame to rail fit is looser than any Rock Island I've ever had. The STI goes bang every time (now) the owner tells me he did a bit of tweaking to get it to run.

I've found a used (like new) CQB in .45 I will likely buy. I've got to dig in the safe for trade bait now.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a CQB compact off Gun Broker a few weeks ago. New never fired $1500. First Wilson and I think it is great. I have only shot 100 rounds so far(waiting for brass to reload and hunting to get done). It has functioned perfect.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between an off the shelf pistol like a Kimber and a hand fitted custom or partial custom like a Wilson. And you will feel that difference in your wallet.

From the hand fitting of the slide to the frame, to the improved accuracy, and most importantly the better reliability, a custom or semi-custom is always the best way to go if you have the means.

I just shot off a message to Nighthawk on a custom request, and if they do it I am expecting to pay anywhere from $3,000 to as much as $4,000... but I know it will be a one of a kind, it will be amazingly accurate, and will go BANG every time I pull the trigger. It's a far cry from my $1100 Kimber, but I think that the investment is well worth it.

You can also get into incredible pistols by Ed Brown and some models will cost far less. You could be UNDER $2,000 and get a terrific quality pistol.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
In my limited experience, if one orders a pistol like a Wilson or Baer and the dealer does not have it on his or her shelf, the cost is likely to be at or near MSRP. If the gun you want is on the dealer's shelf, the cost might be a bit lower.

That being said I rather do my research, pay a bit more, and get what I want and need. When the money is spent, I will not remember that it cost me a bit more to get the right tool. On the other hand, an ill-fitting or useless tool is a constant reminder that I wasted money in a futile attempt to save money. My local dealer had several Tactical Elites cross his counter before I got mine. I looked at one of them for a few weeks, but I was never satisfied with the exact feature set. Mine is quite a bit different from the ones that came before, and I knew it was the one for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gun Site

mliebs8 said:
I'm in the market for a new 1911 and have decided to try STI or Wilson Combat (although I may just stick with Kimber). Anyway I was on the Wilson website and I got sticker shock,
If I may suggest, look in to a Colt Gun Site. In my opinion they are at par for a lot less. Gun Site just got a new shipment in last month. Both Stainless and Blue. One of the best pistols ever made by Colt.

I now go into hiding.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I have a small retail operation and the poster Farscott reflects what about 95% of my clients say. The I say clients as customers will follow price.

I used to work about 40 to 50 gun shows a year for about 15 years and and now down to 5 and some internet. I watched the price buyers spend countless time, resource and in the long run more money than they supposedly saved for the best price. I also saw the same buyers trading the best price gun they never shot as it was not what the wanted and coming up with all of the usual excuses on why.

I also saw just about every discount seller go under from those running stores to those running tables. You see that in electronics to clothes to cars to guns. Name it and it follows the same pattern.

Are you buying price or product. The pattern is the same whether internet or store and also whatever the product. The 100% return guarantee on the Rolex you got from the guy at the Starbuck will really hold up.

If you are buying price you will trade off. (Why do you think so many car dealer, gun stores a better profit from price buyers). Look at the return lines after any major sale anywhere. Do not be a "Wally World Commando." Look around. Do research, find the best value. That may or may not be MSRP but I KNOW it will be more than the best price.

There is always, and I say again, always a reason for a discount and your undying gratitude has nothing to do with it.

Get what you want not what someone else thinks you want.

After dealing with high end 1911's for at least a decade and a half I have learned from making many of my own best price decisions not best value decisions, my tag line runs true.

I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wilson dealer

I have a good friend of 35+ years and a recently retired LEO that is a Wilson dealer. He said that he would offer discounted prices to members of this forum and if you would like contact info., please PM me.

I have purchased 2 Wilson's through him and could not have been any happier.

Orygun

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I'm yet to find an unhappy Wilson or Brown owner. You'll soon forget the price, but the quality will serve you forever!

·
Registered
250 Posts
PT-Partners said:
I have a small retail operation and the poster Farscott reflects what about 95% of my clients say. The I say clients as customers will follow price.

I used to work about 40 to 50 gun shows a year for about 15 years and and now down to 5 and some internet. I watched the price buyers spend countless time, resource and in the long run more money than they supposedly saved for the best price. I also saw the same buyers trading the best price gun they never shot as it was not what the wanted and coming up with all of the usual excuses on why.

I also saw just about every discount seller go under from those running stores to those running tables. You see that in electronics to clothes to cars to guns. Name it and it follows the same pattern.

Are you buying price or product. The pattern is the same whether internet or store and also whatever the product. The 100% return guarantee on the Rolex you got from the guy at the Starbuck will really hold up.

If you are buying price you will trade off. (Why do you think so many car dealer, gun stores a better profit from price buyers). Look at the return lines after any major sale anywhere. Do not be a "Wally World Commando." Look around. Do research, find the best value. That may or may not be MSRP but I KNOW it will be more than the best price.

There is always, and I say again, always a reason for a discount and your undying gratitude has nothing to do with it.

After dealing with high end 1911's for at least a decade and a half I have learned from making many of my own best price decisions not best value decisions, my tag line runs true.

I hope this helps a bit.
Very well said!

·
Registered
301 Posts
AZ Husker said:
I'm yet to find an unhappy Wilson or Brown owner. You'll soon forget the price, but the quality will serve you forever!
I've only had my Wilson since September. So far I'm VERY HAPPY. The CQB is my first and only 1911. Notice I did not say last :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
PT-Partners said:

I hope this helps a bit.
Agreed. I bought a used Wilson from Terry, and counting my trade and the cash I added, it was the most expensive pistol I ever owned. Not surprising to anyone on this forum is that it was also the finest pistol I ever owned, new, used, or otherwise. Just as important was the fact that even though I wasn't the original buyer, the Wilson warranty came with the gun, and that was worth plenty to me.

Anyone who is looking for a Wilson, but gets sticker shock when pricing the new ones, should give serious thought to buying one used. I'm sure Terry will tell you that many of the used ones he sees were impulse buys at gun shows that saw limited range time, making them excellent buys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
geegee said:
Agreed. I bought a used Wilson from Terry, and counting my trade and the cash I added, it was the most expensive pistol I ever owned. Not surprising to anyone on this forum is that it was also the finest pistol I ever owned, new, used, or otherwise. Just as important was the fact that even though I wasn't the original buyer, the Wilson warranty came with the gun, and that was worth plenty to me.

Anyone who is looking for a Wilson, but gets sticker shock when pricing the new ones, should give serious thought to buying one used. I'm sure Terry will tell you that many of the used ones he sees were impulse buys at gun shows that saw limited range time, making them excellent buys.

Agreed also. After getting a nervous stomach thinking about buying new for my first high end 1911, I am quite relaxed with the very much like new and hardly shot at all, with all the goodies, Professional Defense, compact, night sights, alloy frame, ambi safety, black / OD, that I found for $1890 shipped, fees, total. It would have cost around $2400 to order new. The difference was enough to relax my gut and with the Wilson service, I have no performance worries. They will even replace the alloy frame if it shows real wear. (Ask Kimber if they will do that!!!). Now if it would only get to my FFL to pick up!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts