1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has any experience with this item or 19# pound mainsprings in general? I have one on the way, but might hold off using it until I get a response or two on this topic.

I use 16# pound mainsprings in my CZs and have no problems with ignition with any give brand of primer. I don't want to go too light with my 1911 and create a "Federal primer only" game gun. I don't carry my 1911, but I like all of my pistols to be able to be presssed into service if the need arises.

Thanks!

· Registered
502 Posts
I use Wilson 19# without problem, and as mentioned above, did lighten my trigger pull a noticeable amount.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
I used a 15# for a long time in a game gun with zero problems until I went to a low mass hammer and got an occasional lite hit with winchester (hard) primers. I went to a 17# and it's back to 100%. You should be fine with a 19# and any combination of hammer and primers.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
The mainspring in a 1911 is a prime contributor to resistance in recoil mode. It, and the recoil spring, are what control the weapon when it fires and returns to battery. If you're looking for trigger pull lightening, I'd either foget it because the results are most of the time minimal, or go no lighter than a 19# for consistent ignition with any primer.
I like a full power mainspring because it resists the first stage of recoil better and provides just a tad longer burn time for the powder before it unlocks the barrel.
We're not talking about a game gun here...just a backup that must function reliably when called upon...and that mainspring is one primary contributing factor...at least that's what JM Browning figured, and that's good enough for me.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.