1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new CQB, and I took it out to the range. I know that the sheet in the box recommended some hand-loaded SWC for practice, but since I already had a lot of Winchester 230gr FMJ, I decided to use it.

While the gun shot wonderfully (I am not worthy), it had a problem feeding the ball. It would get hung half-fed. I am not sure what the technical term is for this malfunction. This happened a lot.

I know that the Wilsons are made for JHP defense loads, but can I expect them not to use my ball ammo? Or is the Winchester just crap?

Also, anyone know where I can get some of this SWC ammo, pre-made? I do not load (yet), but I like to follow orders.

-Donut, Austin TX, y'all

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Did the rounds kind of go nose-up partway into the barrel and then the slide stops moving forward? If so, the extractor tension may need to be adjusted slightly, or the hook polished slightly, and maybe the breechface polished.

Pull the extractor out of the slide first and make sure there are no burrs or any carbon build-up on the hook.

I'm sure Wilson will take care of this for you. Their customer service has an outstanding reputation.

Best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I agree with GrandmasterB ... Wilson's will take this very seriously, and do whatever it takes to correct the problem.

You have to keep in mind here that, regardless of what else it may be optimized for, every 1911 should be capable of feeding standard 230 grain FMJs without a hitch. As such, the Winchester FMJ should be working flawlessly for you. (For what it's worth, Winchester's JHP loads are on Wilson's "not recommended" list.)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Bill,

Wilson's "recommended" list consists of the following loads (in order of preference):

Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok (new style w/rounded nose)
Hornady/Frontier 200 or 230 gr. XTP (both standard and +P loads)
Black Hills 230 gr. JHP (uses the XTP bullet)
Winchester 185 gr. Silvertip
Federal 230 gr. JHP Classic
Remington 185 or 230 gr. Golden Saber
Sellier & Bellot 230 gr. hardball
Federal American Eagle 230 gr. hardball

Wilson's "not recommended" list is as follows:

Federal 185 gr. JHP Classic
CorBon 185 gr. JHP
CorBon 230 gr. JHP
CCI Speer 200 gr. JHP
CCI Speer 230 gr. FMJ Blazer
CCI Speer 230 gr. FMJ Lawman
Hornady/Frontier 200 gr. SWC CT
Winchester 230 gr. JHP
Winchester 230 gr. SXT HP

There is also a recommend handloads list for various applications (i.e. IDPA, practice, ISPC, self-defense) that I have omitted for the sake of brevity.

Chuck

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Wilson Protector with a similar problem...

It fails to fully feed some FMJ's, including Winchester white box 230g, UMC, and (worst of all) CCI Blazer.

I am not sure why Winchester and UMC cause problems, but the Wilson people tell me CCI Blazer has a too long overall length and bad shape.

I havent had a problem with JHP ammo or Sellier and Bellot FMJ's.

I talked to Wilsons about all this earlier this week and will be sending it back to get this solved next week... They seemed very helpful on the phone. We'll see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Wilson CQB compact and have had no problems feeding it the "unrecommended" ammo. I fired 100 rounds of CCI FMJ Speer Lawman through it without a hitch. Even fired 100 rounds of that cheap Wolf .45 ammo through it without a problem. Overall, very pleased. It shot everything, even the Wolf right where I wanted it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by

There is also a recommend handloads list for various applications (i.e. IDPA, practice, ISPC, self-defense) that I have omitted for the sake of brevity.

Chuck

[/B]
Howdy Chuck,
Is Wilson's list of recomended reloads available anywhere? I am curious and would like to have a peek at it.
Thanks
dotdot

·
Registered
230 Posts
Donut, read my thread "should I be upset about this?". I've had the same problem with Lawman ammo. Good quality ammo that feeds in all my other 1911 pistols, but the Wilson is finicky. It really bothers me that Wilson touts reliability as an essential in a carry gun, but then lists about a dozen FACTORY ammo types that aren't recommended (=don't reliably work in the gun) AFTER you pay the bucks for the pistol. I find this rather disturbing, especially when every other pistol I have feeds these rounds easily. Wilson had better spend a little more time on their pistols before they go out the door or they are going to lose a lot of customers. Surprisingly, mine feeds PMC, UMC, and other cheap stuff reliably. It has never had a failure to feed with S&B or Hydra-Shoks, so that's what I use. My Baer, however, feeds every round I've ever fed it. Seems like Wilson SHOULD be expected to do the same, but a lot of them won't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Donut,
I had the same problem as yours. I thought i'm the only one. I bought my CQB compact about 6 mo. ago and went to the range to test fire. I had feeding problems on all brands of BALL ammo. At that time i was really disappointed that a new in the box pistol will not even feed ball ammo? I send it back and they fix it. I did question their quality control bec. it came with a check list that they test fired and checked everything. They remove more metal on the feed ramp and polished it. It is now working well but now i was left with doubts on the product. I owned several 1911s colts, les baer and springfields but never had a problem with feeding ball ammo. Now my new problem with this gun is the emblem on the left grip. It keeps on falling and losing them. I already called them 3x on this and sent me replacement logo 3x. i tried all their suggestions on what adhesives to use without success. Now i am requesting them to just send me a replacement grips bec. i'm really disappointed that i have to worry everytime i shoot on losing the logo on the grips. They are on back order so i am still waiting. Thanks

jag

·
Registered
421 Posts
My CQB full size has been 100% reliable with S&B, Winchester white box and CCI Blazer 230 gr ball even that the Blazer is on the "Not Recommended list".
The emblems on the grips did fall out and I think it was the Gun Scrubber that melted the adhesive that held them. I cleaned the old adhesive and put a drop of liquid metal,it is solid as can be since then.

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
I retail the custom 1911. Wilson, Baer, Brown, and also the production guns.

I have heard the "reliability" issue many times.

I have had all of the makers "choke" on low priced or "best" priced "factory" ammo at one time or another. Main reason is the "best" priced ammo is "best" priced for a reason and many times the ammo between lots is not consistant. Hence it is not recommended.

OKC-45 that may be why Wilson has a "recommended" list. Over the many years of being in business some ammo makers will cut corners at time and change the source of bullets, powder, primer, brass, and machining in the production of product to improve profit margin. This is learned from experience and time.

That may be why there is a recommend list of ammo that is "consistant".

Now I am DEFINATELY not an expert but after three decades of the .45 acp shooting and sales.

It is one of four things.

1. Ammo
2. Magazine
3. Operator
4. Gun

It is usually in that order and 99.4% of the time it is the first two and most of the time the first one.

I have one case of CCI Blazer left of a lot of 5 I bought several years ago that I highly recommend for malfunction drills. One out of every fifty will hang. This is on almost all of the guns I have shot it in to include the customs and productions. I also have about 10 boxes of Winchester white box that is pure junk.

That is exactly why I say you get what you pay for front end or back end.

I got "best" priced. I got what I paid for. I paid for low price ammo and got low quality.

Low price meant low quality and low value.

That is the one reason it is best priced.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
230 Posts
Terry,

I do appreciate your help and thoughtful posts. I do agree with you that not every 1911 will function with every type of ammo out there. It does strike me as odd that my other guns will run with ammo that my Wilson often won't. I was at the range today and ran over 200 rounds of S&B through my Wilson, ProLoad, and a few Speer Lawman rounds too. Not a hiccough. If the Wilson ever does ftf S&B, I'll send it back to Wilson pronto. I do believe, as my personal opinion, that my Wilson's performance is not as good as my Baer. That is my personal opinion, based only on the two guns I have, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em. Not saying the Wilson isn't a good gun, IMHO the Baer is a better gun. Others will have different experiences. Many, as you have heard above, will have similar experiences. That's what makes a forum like this so valuable.

Take care,

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
An $1800 pistol that is finicky on ammo and is not working reliably out of the box. These premium ammos are not recommended by company who did the customizing?

Federal 185 gr. JHP Classic
CorBon 185 gr. JHP
CorBon 230 gr. JHP
CCI Speer 200 gr. JHP
CCI Speer 230 gr. FMJ Blazer
CCI Speer 230 gr. FMJ Lawman
Hornady/Frontier 200 gr. SWC CT
Winchester 230 gr. JHP

Man, if I paid that much for a pistol it better work reliably out of the box and shoot all commercial (not to mention premium) ammos.

·
Registered
230 Posts
NewToy 45, that was my point exactly. I remember when I first bought my Protector and took it to the range. I had watched the Wilson video, but didn't READ the two page handout on the recommended ammo, so I went to Wally World and bought some Federal 185 gr JHP Classic ammo. HARDLY cheap, it was around 25.00 for 50 if I recall. Took it to the range and the gun would fail-to-feed every 10 rounds or so. THEN I READ the handout on recommended ammo. It's true, it'll feed S&B and 230 gr. Hydrashoks all day long, but it is a finicky feeder compared to some 1911s I own.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts