Well, I recieved my Wilson CQB "plus"
and must say its quite a ringer.

Whats a "plus?"
Well I added a few options of my own.

-Tritium Wilson adjustable sights
-KZ45 slide with spring loaded extractor
-arched checkered housing
-McCormick slim grips

Well, the gun arrived in a nice OD/Black tu-tone look, with perfect machine cut/hand finished checkering all around. excellent deburring/melting of slide/frame/small parts.

Nice barrel/slide/frame fit.
Perfect trigger-3.5 lbs crisp as crackers, trigger pad well fitted also.

safety snicks on and off just right.

Wilson is adding a semi extended "tactical" mag catch too, just the right size.

The gun feeds 100%, although a few of the new mags were stiff so I let them sit loaded for a bit before I used them.

This baby shoots. Standing, 20 yard cloverleafs are mundane. Some of the best fast shooting I have ever done too.

The sights are the big winner here. Great sight picture and glow like hell at night.
Absolutely snag free too, the extra length of the tritium vials in the rear blade create a very smooth sight that will not hang up on anything.

I like the Armor-tuff. Easy to clean and not as glossy as other shake and bake finishes.
It seems to hold up well in kydex also.

Druthers?
Well, even though its a tackdriver, the bushing could have been fit a bit tighter in the slide.
The spring guide is plastic

And the front sight is a mite short and "stubby", would prefer one a bit higher/slimmer/serrated.

All in all its a GREAT shooter, and got more than I expecetd from Wilsons.

A week after the gun came, a great care packag showed up with all kinds of goodies too. Ammo, hat, cleaning stuff, etc.

I am impressed.
This gun is a fine example of what the 1911 has evolved to over the past several years.
The KZ extractor is a great step forwared, IMHO. Excellent, uniform extraction and a big 'ole claw. Its a winner.

------------------
"The best armor is to keep out of range"-Italian Proverb

·
Registered
220 Posts
AL, congrats on you new Wilson! So, what's the advantage of an external extractor, compared to the traditional kind? My Wilson 22 conversion kit has an external extractor, but I don't understand the advantages of them.

Also, it's good to know that Wilson will modify their standard catalog package guns to owner specs. When I bought my Wilson Protector, I was under the impression that you took what was available. However, after reading you post and that of another member who requested modifications from the standard catalog offering, I know that if I ever order another Wilson, it will definately have some changes in parts specs. Good shooting!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wilson's will build to order and they have since they have been making pistols. I have heard a few people say otherwise and it is usually in one of those "one man shop verses Wilson/Baer" posts. Some people just don't like Wilson's because they are boring. They just build guns that work all the time and if there is a problem they fix it with lightening speed and are very nice and respectfull in the process. Not much chatter about a company that actually delivers on goods as promised.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding of some wilson history. Prior to around 1996, wilson's shop did work on customer supplied pistols. A person would send in their gun, along with a check-list work order form, and wilson's would perform the specified work.

In 1996, Wilsons decided to offer their 1996A2 gun. Apparently, this gun featured all of the most popular wilson components and work that most customers specified be done to owner-supplied guns. By having a supply of pre-built 1996A2's in stock, customers could order the guns and have them shipped almost immediately. These guns were supposidly built or "assembled" by technicians using high quality, close tolerance components. In 1997, wilsons came out with their "Service Grade" line of pre-assembled pistols, using the 1996A2 frames as the base gun. These included the "servoce grade" CQB, Protector, Classic, Target, etc. These guns were apparently assembled by technicians and in a large enought quantity that a supply was always in stock for immediate delivery. Each model was made alike, hence Wilson's designation as a "semi-custom" shop. For example, each "Service Grade Protector" used common part hammers, sears, etc.

For reasons unknown to me, Wilson's doesn't have anything pre-made and in-stock for immediate delivery anymore. So, it would make sense that if you've got to order a gun to be built, it would be no problem for them to build it to a customer's specs.

Steve Clark or Terry Peters; since you guys are familiar with Wilsons, it this pretty much correct?

·
Registered
437 Posts
The reason Wilson does not have any Service Grade pistols in stock is really very simple.Supply and demand.Wilsons is not a huge manufacturing facility.They take the time to do it right and each pistol is hand fitted and assembled.It is just not thrown together and shipped.I would rather wait for a pistol to be built right even though it may mean many months wait.BILLG

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are the Millenium Protectors not available? They replaced the 96A2's. Surprised they wouldn't have a few of those...maybe they're not selling?

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
tetly

That history actually parallels any of the successful custom shops or manufacturers. It goes from guns being available to guns on back order.

Demand versus supply.

High demand and low or no supply.

I normally have about 30 to 35 guns on hand for immediate delivery. I am struggling to stay over 10 (14 as of this post) with close to 30 more on back order with money invested on those on back order.

The only reason I have any stock is I started ordering back in January right after the 2000 Shot Show. Those guns are the ones that have come in the past 90 days. Now the first quarter orders are showing up.

Buyers prepaid on several of them, one less now as I shipped a Stainless Classic Tu Tone yesterday and I send payment ahead on my backorders to the builders as they have to eat to. A couple of those prepays are to customer specs.

The packages available from most of the custom gun builders are there as a guide.

As far as having guns on hand for immediate delivery what I believe has happened is demand for the hand built quality value custom 1911 has far outstripped any available or forecast supply.

This is probably reflected industry wide for the custom guns.

As an example of the demand as of this post I have one CQB Compact available as the prepaid buyer bought a new Sentinel that came in. That prepaid buyer bought a used Stealth Defense System I took in trade in lieu of the Sentinel. The SDS was traded in on a Bobtail Brown.

As the reputation for the Wilson Products grew so did demand.

I have the same problem getting the guns from Ed Brown. The bobtail guns are gone half of the time before I get them. The Classic Custom and Full size Class A limited last a little longer. As the Brown reputation grows the supply will shrink and the wait time extend.

I got in three bobtails in this week with one prepaid and if those other two last the weekend at the Dallas Market Hall Show they will be gone before the end of the month.

You can say the same thing with the Baer Premier II, now it is the Thunder Ranch. The Thunder Ranch is out of stock and my next prepaid will be sometime in the next 6 to 8 weeks.

A lot of it may be feeding frenzy or good economy or the political environment. I just wish my crystal ball could of forecast it or I had more to invest at the beginning of the year.

Any of the custom shops worth a darn have the same back order as I talk to several of them on a farely regular basis.

You now wait for Wilson, Ed Brown, Novak, Baer, Clark, Burns, Garthwaite, and this is to name a few.

Very few if any custom guns are there for immediate delivery unless I or someone like me ordered them as retail guns so you wouldn't have to wait. I am gambling the packages I ordered fit your needs.

That is exactly what it was when the packages were available for immediate delivery from the custom builders. They were betting the packages whatever they were named Concept or Service Grade or Whatever fit the buyers demands.

The only other immediate available is trade or used.

Anyway, Sorry for the long post.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just a quick follow-up regarding Wilson's supply & demand.

When I ordered my "service grade" Protector directly from Wilson's earlier this year, I had a chance to talk with Tom & Greg (wilson's employees) . One of them told me that the "service grade" guns were now being made by the pistolsmiths, rather than by the techs. The techs had been switched over to the production of the Scattergun Technologies shotguns and the AR rifles.

With Wilson's expanded line of shotguns and rifles, maybe the number of pistols they can produce due to available personnel resources has declined. Just a speculation on my part.

The good part about having no guns in stock is that you don't have to settle with something that's already been built to "generic" specs. -- you can spec your own changes, such as hammers, sears, finishes, etc.

[This message has been edited by tetley (edited 09-28-2000).]

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The KZ-45 slide utilizes the new Wilson
external, spring loaded extractor (similar to USP)

Since I have a KZ45, and noted its excellent feeding and extraction, I wanted ine of these
"trouble free" beefy extractors.

Opinions may vary....

A.L

------------------
"The best armor is to keep out of range"-Italian Proverb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts