1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a 1991A1 Colt Commander in a shop that was fully tricked out by Wilson's. It had just about everything Wilson could do to the gun- rebarreled, high grip 30 lpi front strap, beavertail, tightened, Armor Tuff'd, all Bulletproof parts, etc. The gun was mint. The only things it had that I didn't like were the old "Night Eyes" sights and a 30 lpi arched MSH (I prefer flat), which was cut into to open up the magwell, so it can't easily be replaced. Anyhoo, the piece was going for $1495. Does anyone have experience with stock guns that Wilson's has built up recently? The only reason I didn't get it on the spot was the cost of switching the sights to the newer Low Mount style and refitting a flat MSH, along with the subsequent refinish. I'm much less willing to undertake projects now, if the gun isn't what I want, I usually pass. It just seemed like this was somewhat unique and a good deal.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, I would say that is very rare that a gun like that would just be sitting there, I wonder what the story is. If you like it enough I would make them an offer they can't refuse and you can live with to take up the cost of the changes you described sending it back to Wilson maybe to have it done.

Food for thought.:p

·
Registered
397 Posts
Slowhand - Your description sounds just like my 1997 built Wilson Service Grade. My first thought was that it was built on a customer's gun. According to Greg at Wilson it was built from scratch using a Colt gunsmith kit. This was before Wilson started to build guns using its own slides and frames. Greg said they used both Colt and Springfield slide/frame kits.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Note that Wilson Combat will also build a custom pistol from a customer supplied Colt or Springfield Armory. Obviously, you pays for what you wants...

So with Wilson Combat, you don't have to necessarily settle for their WC framed typical models...you have choices.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was listed as a "Defensive Combat", so maybe it was a factory gun. What made me think it was a customer's gun was that it had an arched MSH, which I have never seen on a factory gun from Wilson's.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Was it marked "Wilson Combat" on the L. side of the the dust cover? If I hadn't just bought a new truck, I'd be a player if you weren't.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it had the "WIlson Combat" script on the dust cover.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
I believe I would just look for a used Professional model if I was looking for a mid-length gun. No series-80 parts and the right msh and sights...

I have seen a few used professionals in the 1500-1600 range.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have a Professional, which I agree is a great choice for a Commander-type gun. There's just something about a nice custom Colt.........

·
Registered
397 Posts
Slowhand said:
I already have a Professional, which I agree is a great choice for a Commander-type gun. There's just something about a nice custom Colt.........
I agree. My Wilson built Colt 1991A1 Service Grade Protector is one of my favorite pistols, even though I have some I paid much more for. Partly because it is a Colt, and partly because it is the Officers Model frame and Commander slide. This pretty much maintains the same proportions as the 5" model :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts