1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a heads up from George on this (thanks) and while talking with my Wilson rep today it was relayed to me again.

As of Tuesday Wilson will no longer be taking orders for bobtails.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great tool to have in the box and hate that Wilson is removing an option for us. For those of us with smaller hands, it provides some extra control and "feel". Count me as one who likes the bobtail!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Hmmmm....They just lost another order from me to Ed Brown. Glad I specd my Pro with one when I did.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There are no royalties.

We just vastly prefer the Round Butt for about a million reasons both aesthetically and performance oriented.
Is full length spring one of them?

(I have no experience with bobtails and never will but I doubt you could fit a full sized spring in that mainspring housing).

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Is full length spring one of them?

(I have no experience with bobtails and never will but I doubt you could fit a full sized spring in that mainspring housing).
That is a very big reason. Also the frame is slightly weaker at the msh pin hole and the drumroll....we hate being at the mercy of a vendor (Even a GREAT one like Ed Brown) for a part.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Part of owning your own company is you can go anyway you want. Wilson has chosen to drop different finishes and now bob tails. That may swing people one way or the other. It's nice to have choices. It might influence EB sales in a positive way. I have two bob tailed carry pistols and really like them. I like the look and the feel. I have shot a round butt though don't own one , yet, it is kitted. After range time with both, I would rather shoot an full size grip bob tailed carry pistol then a round butt compact pistol. Reason why my kitted is professional size.
It's also not a DW "thing" it was designed by EB. And not a love/hate thing. More of a distinctive look that appeals to some and not others.
It might cost Wilson a few sales. With their back log I think they can weather it.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Part of owning your own company is you can go anyway you want. Wilson has chosen to drop different finishes and now bob tails. That may swing people one way or the other. It's nice to have choices. It might influence EB sales in a positive way. I have two bob tailed carry pistols and really like them. I like the look and the feel. I have shot a round butt though don't own one , yet, it is kitted. After range time with both, I would rather shoot an full size grip bob tailed carry pistol then a round butt compact pistol. Reason why my kitted is professional size.
It's also not a DW "thing" it was designed by EB. And not a love/hate thing. More of a distinctive look that appeals to some and not others.
It might cost Wilson a few sales. With their back log I think they can weather it.
I am confident we will pull through and weather the storm.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Wilson's round butt MSH is far more comfortable than a bobtail anyway.

I am very fond of that part.
Matter of personal preference and opinion. I own both and they are both good features.

Jim, good post.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wilson's round butt MSH is far more comfortable than a bobtail anyway.
Stating an opinion as fact is one way to lose credibility quickly.

A round butt may be more comfortable for you, but opinions will vary widely, and there certainly seems to be a market for bobtailed 1911's...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts