1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used this product and if so,did it improve the performance of your gun?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes, I've used it with no adverse effects on reliability. I'm a fairly mediocre shot, so I personally can't tell if it actually improves groups.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have used it also and thought it worked pretty well. It certainly improved the lock up and I think the accuracy improved. I also added a barrel bushing too.

Ed R.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
I tried one on a Colt Gold Cup with no change in group size.
If your looking for accuracy have a known reputable gunsmith fit a new barrel and bushing.

Edited to add:
EJR did you make both changes at the same time? My guess is the bushing is what helped the accuracy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I used one in an old Norinco 1911 I used to have. It actually helped quite a bit. The gun was not a grouper at all as issued. It usually patterned more then it grouped. After the group gripper, nice clusters at 15 yards (more like large single holes) were the norm. I never measured the groups since it was just a shooter more then a target gun, but I was quite pleased with it post group gripper. I had it in there for quite a few years before I sold the gun. The gun did start having some feeding problems just before I sold it (after many thousands of rounds), but I never went into diagnosing the problem before I got rid of it, so I can't say if the gripper had anything to do with it.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used them on several guns and found them to be a good addition. THey really shine on older guns that have been shot a lot by making the lug contact the same shot to shot. I have neveer had a feed prob with one that was properly fitted.

xx

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
I used the Group Gripper also. I also agree with the others above - use a fitted barrel bushing to maximize your accuracy gains. Actually, you may try just the bushing first. That is a key component to accuracy with 1911's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Used one in one of my Norinco 1911s. It shot fairly well before, but the group gripper helped to eliminate flyers that would spoil the group. It also took the spring out of the barrel hood. No adverse affects with regard to function and condition of the barrel/slide lugs. I'm sure that the link will fail eventually due to extra stress imparted by the notch and spring , but that is an easy fix. Easily puts 5 Rounds into a ragged hole at 15 yds with stock sights, barrel, bushing, and trigger. Holds 3" groups at 25yds off hand, with the only flyers coming from less than perfect manipulation of the trigger on my part. A trigger job would probably tighten it up a notch and a fitted bushing might not hurt, provided I can shoot well enough to notice the improvement.

Buddy is going to use one on a 1991 Colt Commander, so I should have more empirical data soon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've used one successfully on a Mk IV Colt. If the rear of your barrel has "spring", the group gripper is a great cheap fix.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you use one and it makes a obvious difference that's a pretty good indication that the bottom luggs on the barrel are not fitted right.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Save your money and buy a Kart E-Z fit barrel. A person with any mechanical skills can fit one of these barrels. The Group Gripper is IMO a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If you're wanting to tighten the group on a loose pistol, the gripper is the best answer for economy. It won't get you to the 50 yard accuracy of a 'smith fit NM barrel and bushing, but if you fit a NM bushing along with the Gripper, I suspect the difference will be a shock. It's that good!!

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts