1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im hoping you can help me here. I have a reasonable grasp of the parts/function of the 1911 but wanted to get an opinion on this one. I just purchased a Kimber Heritage Classic Custom NIB. For some reason, the rounds were getting hung up when attempting to chamber. It seemed to be right when the round casing came into contact with extractor. Took it to local gunsmith who confirmed that extractor was bad. Not a big deal, I planned on changing out for a stronger extractor anyways. Now the question, the only extractor I can find locally is a Wilson Bulletproof for a series 80 type gun. The Kimber is a Series 70/Type I. Package says will work for both 70 and 80 series and website confirms. My concern is, if this one will fit and work perfectly, why do they even offer a series 70 extractor also? Would you guys trust this to be as reliable as series 70 type and to function flawlessly? I could wait and order one in but honestly, I just wanna get this solved and start enjoying it. Any feedback, tips or experience you guys can offer here is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
There are enough people who dislike the whole concept of firing pin blocks, that Wilson figured they'd better hedge their bets and have a standard extractor, as well as a S80. The S80 extractor will work fine in any 1911. I wouldn't buy the S80 part for a non-S80 gun, if both types of extractor were available, but I wouldn't be without my gun for a week, while I waited for a different extractor to be ordered/delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
They both work just fine and, if you had a Series 80 type in your Series 70 - who would know but you???:rolleyes:

In fact, the extractor in one of my series 70s was giving me trouble and I just happened to only have a couple of the 80 extractors in my parts box - replaced the malfunctioning one and the new one is flawless.

But I guess if the presence or absence of that 80 notch bothers you more than the function of the extractor - you should go with your feelings.

:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the Series 80 Wilson Bulletproof today, dropped it off to be radiused and fitted at gunsmith so will be ready tomorrow. It was such a hassle to find one locally I think I will order a series 70 just to have around but at least my gun wont be down waiting for it to come in and I will just leave the 80 in it till I have a problem. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts