1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering building my own 1911 on a Wilson frame and either Wilson or CMC slide. Does anybody have an experience with the frames and slides they are selling? I am sure their custom pistols are of excellent quality, but are the parts they are selling of the same quality?

The finishes that Wilson lists for their frames are “stainless” or “white”. Does anybody know what “white” is exactly??

Thanks in advance.

-D

·
Registered
599 Posts
An unfinished or "in the white" part is carbon steel and will need to have some type of finish on it.....blued, chromed, parkerized, ect.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, how about the quality? Has anybody used one of the Wilson frames or slides in a project??

-D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Last time I called Wilson, they weren't selling their frames or slides anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, they are still in their catalog and on their web site. I will have to try and call them tomorrow.

-D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hello drone...project?...yes...would recommend their frame and slides for a project...this one is from stainless steel...John Harrison was the gunsmith...he did however have to add a few verticals to the checkering and touch up the edges of the checkering a bit...all and all the frame and slide were of good quality and went together very well with everything else...I like the look of Wilson pistols...and like it even more as a custom with no markings...pic attached...If you want stainless and have trouble finding a frame and slide in stock somewhere, I know of a gunshop in Atlanta that I believe still has one that they bought along with mine that they havn't sold in well over a year...JM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
I built my stock pin gun on a Wilson frame. Everything is in order dimensionally. I got a good trigger with no problems and no problems fitting a slide to it. I still have to get it finished but it is a good platform to work from.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just got off the phone with Wilson, the sales for the frames and slides are suspended until Jan '04.

·
Banned
570 Posts
Did I miss something? I was under the impression that Wilson did not make their own frame and slide - that it came from Kimber.

When did Wilson begin to manufacture their own?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wilson's doesen't make thier own frame or slides, but do order large shipments of frames and slides from different vendors to their specs.

Hardball1911

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
drone23 said:
Did they say why sales were suspended?-D
They didn't say, but I'll guess they're trying to fill back orders of guns that need to be built first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts