1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A problem has recently cropped up with my Wilson Protector fullsize LW. A total of three times, twice in the last 200 rounds alone, the last round in a Wilson 8 round mag got in front of the extractor upon chambering. Each incident was with a different wilson 8 round mag. Total round count is approximately 2,800. Ammo was S&B 230 gr ball. Recoil spring and mag springs are replaced regularly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had the same thing happen with the Wilson 8 rounders and really started to look at the action of the follwer on the 8 round Wilson Mags. I too was using full hardball loads.

What I found is that the follower because it is shorter in depth, tends to wobble fore and aft. The 7 round original Wilson Rogers design being deeper and having more bearing surface on the inside, tends to be less prone to this wobble. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Somehow this wobble happens and the bullet seems to jump ahead of the extractor instead of under it.

I know this doesn't help in and of itself, but it forced me to do more resarch and this is what I found.

Many top defensive instructors including Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch believe the 8 rounders inferior to the 7 round Wilson mags with respect to liability. Wolff gunsprings also advocate the 7 rounders over the 8's for the same reason. There are a multitude of reasons beyond your extractor issue.

It seems that most agree that it is too easy to not fully seat an 8 round mag because you're trying to squeeze more in the mag tube than it was designed for and it takes a very deliberate smack to get it to seat. It was also designed for the 7 round follower of the proper depth which differs greatly proortioned to the 7 round follower.

Since going back to the 7 round follower and spring from Wilson, all problems have vanished. The pistol I am using has over 2,000 rounds through it without a "Hick Up" with the 7 round mags.

I know there are several advocates of the 8 round Wilson Mag design, I'm just no one of them.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Tackerman, I share your findings also with the Wilson 7 round and 8 round mags. This is also something I have noticed with other quality magazines out there. I must confess though I am a fan of the Metalform seven round rounded mag follower.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts