1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 4" CCW. Which one should I go for? They both are priced almost the same.

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KB said:
The KZ-45...without hesitation!
Can you please tell me why? You must have GOOD reasons to be that sure.;)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Go to either gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com and do a search for: Kimber CDP, and then do a search for KZ-45 or Wilson KZ, and compare the results.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Without taking sides, buy the one that feels better to you. The KZ is not a standard 1911 style frame.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KB said:
Go to either gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com and do a search for: Kimber CDP, and then do a search for KZ-45 or Wilson KZ, and compare the results.
Very few if any Wilson KZ around. But why are they better then Kimber?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Very few KZ-45's around ought to tell you something about desirability. I have owned both and if I had to choose between the KZ-45 vs. the Kimber CDP...I would take the Wilson. AZH is right however, it will have a different feel than that of a typical 1911 style pistol grip. They are suppose to be coming out with a new stainless compact here sometime before the end of the year. Anticipate those selling as fast as you can get 'em.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I answered your question over on the Kimber heading but will repeat for emphasis:

My personal experience with alloy framed 1911s is poor. I cracked the frames on three (3) Commanders. The polymer frames of the KZ series have much greater potential for duribility and long life.

To date my KZ-45 Compact has digested just over 1000 rounds, and the KZ-45 full size has eaten 4000 rounds, with no weapon related malfunctions. Neither gun shows any signs of wear or fatigue.

If you need another reason, the Wilson has no lawyer induced, totally unnecessary firing pin safety. The Kimber II has these politically correct extra parts that have in the past caused some function and relibility problems for owners.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
A better comparison would be the Kimber Pro-10 vs. the Wilson KZ Compact. Both are poly-framed "hi-cap" versions. Even in Kimber's top-quality days (before the Series-II mess), they didn't have the workmanship of Wilson.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kimber vs Wilson

I f the price is about the same, I'd lean to the Wilson, I have a Kimber Pro Carry, and the trigger pull is about 4.75lbs, (a fixable problem) I like the gun and it is accurate. But the Wilsons are more likely to be around 3.5 lbs. It does mAKE A DIFFERENCE, I'm leaning towards a KZ45 Compact myself. But will probable get the Kimber worked on just because its a Polymer Pro Carry series 1 and I have the 14 round magazine as an option for it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No one's mentioned warranty so far......

Not knocking Kimber but if you have a problem with
a Wilson you're virtually guaranteed excellent response.

Had a 4" "Custom Shop" Kimber and while it was an excellent gun
with great accuracy it was not in the same league as the 5" KZ
have now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts