1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to put a magwell on my new Professional but need some help in what model to use. The gun has a hard chrome frame from Wilson and a black Armor-Tuff slide, so where could I find a match for this? Also who would be best to install it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, to match the frame finish (Hard Chrome), the magwell part you decide to go with will need to be Hard Chromed.

Choices from Wilson Combat include the Speed-chute (which includes the MSH) or the Custom magwell which attaches to the grip bushings. The Speed-Chute allows the shooter to remove and install the magwell by simply removing the MSH pin.

The S&A magwell (which also includes the MSH) is a popular choice. Unlike the Wilson Combat Speed-Chute, the magwell is integral to the MSH.

In the permanent magwell department, there's the Morris Custom magwell and the Heinie XX Magwell. Both require frame cuts.

To get the best looking fit, I'd spend the extra to get the part fitted and blended to the frame. This will of course require refinishing of the frame and the part.

My Wilson Combat has the S&A magwell, expertly blended and fitted by Larry Vickers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes thanks a lot. I'm wondering if I can just get a blued one fitted and it would look OK kind of like the two-tone look it already has. Larry Vickers....does he have a website/

Thanks again

·
Registered
462 Posts
oufree said:
yes thanks a lot. I'm wondering if I can just get a blued one fitted and it would look OK kind of like the two-tone look it already has. Larry Vickers....does he have a website/

Thanks again
To be clear, just about any pistolsmith can perform this work (just run a quick search on the Forum). You just need to decide which magwell to go with and how much blending you want done. Your pistolsmith can also give recommendations on which part will be best for your situation (and price point).

Keep in mind that Wilson Combat can perform the magwell install on your pistol (and also blend and match the finish), but you'll have to settle with their speed-chute or custom magwell.

Just an opinion on your approach...you can certainly go with a blued part... but the two tone result would look unnatural, since the magwell should seem like one with the beveling in the frame. Plus the MSH and frame being two tone would look unnatural as well.

A pic of the Vickers blended and finished S&A Magwell on my Wilson Protector.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.