1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really am not sure which group to throw this topic into Les Baer or Wilson.

Which pistol is better?

I am going to be buying two one for my wife and one for myself (I am aware that they are both bloody expensive) to carry on a daily basis, and my question which of these guys make the better product?

Patriot

------------------
"Both the oligarch and the tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
- Aristotle, "Politics"

·
Registered
474 Posts
Patriot,
Both Wilson and Baer make excellent pistols and you will not go wrong with either choice. It all comes down to features. I would make a list of what features you are looking for and determine which manufacturer is able to meet your needs. From a personal standpoint, I bought the Baer because of the 1.5" accuracy guarantee at 50 yds and the lack of MIM parts plus it had all the features I was looking for.

------------------

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Both pistols are not exactly the same so a comparison is not directly fair for saying which is better, like oldcolt said, much of the difference really comes down to features. Both are quality. Both have really good points. Both come from really good companies. Both have followings that are totally committed to the products and who can't give you and unbiased opinion. Both have a few people that have owned the guns and think they did not get what they should have gotten for the money. Different people will pick either brand based on how they judge the individual features as being important.

I really like my CQB for a defense gun. I think it rocks. If I shot IPSC, there is a Baer gun that I think I would prefer. So, intended use another issue as well. What are you going to do with the gun. I do carry my CQB on a daily basis and like it. I liked it so much that I bought the compact version as well. It was a good choice for ME.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not much to debate. I think Baer is a better gun for less money. Wilson is easier to deal with, but Baer takes care of you just as well, just less friendly.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I'll go ahead and admit my bias for the Wilson -- though Baer makes an excellent gun as well. As has been observed, these guns are not necessarily aimed at the same market. IMO, Baers may be better suited to precision shooting, like Bullseye competition. They seem to have tighter tolerances, and a better accuracy guarantee. On the other hand, I'd prefer to have a Wilson for defensive purposes. They run flawlessly, and are better optimized for combat style shooting.

Aside from these inherent characteristics, one simply must consider the "after the sale" aspects of ownership. In this area, Wilson has no peer in the industry. They will bend over twice backwards to satisfy you, and are extremely responsive to the customer's needs and desires.

This is not to say that Baer is somehow deficient, but they will never catch up with Wilson in this regard. It has been my experience that this disparity makes the extra money you pay for a WC more than worth it in the long run.

The only one who can really answer your question is you. You must decide what is/is not important, what type of shooting you plan to do, and how much stock to put into warranty coverage. Fortunately, whatever you decide, you are sure to get a beautiful pistol that will serve you well for decades to come.

Chuck

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll take one of each please, and while your at it why not throw in an Ed Brown and a Nowlin as well

------------------
"ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE..."

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I'll take one of each please, and while your at it why not throw in an Ed Brown and a Nowlin as well?
Yeah ... what HE said.
Might as well have a full-house custom built up while we're at it.

Patriot, since you mentioned that the intended use here is for daily carry, I would probably stick with a Wilson. There are, however, some less-expensive alternatives that might serve you just as well. Have you looked at the GSP 2000? Details here: http://www.gunsite.com/GUNSMITHY_index/GSP_2000/gsp_2000.html

Nothing like having too many perfectly worthwhile choices, eh?

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts
Wilson or Les Baer?
I guess my analogy to that is: Blondes or brunettes or redheads. It's up to your taste.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
For Patriot, I think there is only point that is readily apparent in regard to the issue of which is better. At the level of quality for these two guns, no one has yet to bring up a non-opinion based set of information. In other words, nothing solid.

Given that you have the $$ for two guns and neither appears "best" in terms of quality, I suggest you repost a new query as a new thread (since several have already seen this one once and won't reread it and won't answer a newly posed question on it) and ask what owners of Wilson like about their guns and what Les Baer owners like about theirs. I would also ask what owners did not like or would not do again if they had a chance to remake their buying decision. While still very much opinion based, I think you will get some valid insight into features people like and some will tell you why they like them (or not).

One last point to keep in mind. Most of the "standard" types of features on either gun can be modified if you order from the factories, so you don't have to buy the stock guns with stock features if you do not want to do so. You can order a Wilson that is Parkerized and not Armor-Coated or you can order a Baer with the sharp edges knocked off (or knocked off better than they come standard). Some changes may require some extra $$, but this is for a really good gun for which you will be carrying for your protection and more importantly, your wife's. Get both what you need (either brand) with what you want on them. AND, you don't have to buy from just one company either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can choose either the Wilson or the Baer, however, I know some Chicago PD shooters who swear by Rock River Arms and swear at Baer. Through their research, they have estimated that 7 out of 10 of the Baer guns do not shoot up to spec, and for the money, they suggest Rock River. As far as Wilson goes, they deliver parts, etc. like nobody's business, and they are friendly
and caring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shot an IDPA match today with my new Wilson CQB. The pistol performed flawlessly. I wish I could say the same for me!

Two of the range officers remarked that they also had Wilsons and loved them. One said he had both a Wilson Protector and a Les Baer and preferred the Wilson. I asked him why and he said he had 1500 rounds through the Baer and it was still so tight he had a hard time racking the slide but the Wilson shot great out of the box.

His words, not mine. I have not tried a Baer--they certainly look great!

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts