1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt SS Officers Mod. IV ser.80 and have replaced the slide stop with a Wilson plus slide stop in SS. I didn't want to spring for the Bullet Proof one.. Ok, now how about fitment? It dropes right in and is much closer to my slid stop plunger tube so it pushes the plunger in much more then my old slide stop " this is a good thing".. " My old one was not a stock colt part it was blued steal and almost didn't contact the slide stop plunger" This was the reason for changing it out. I felt the old slide stop would bounce on recoil locking the slide back with rounds left in the mag.. Ok back on track.. after installing the wilson plus slide stop I slid a full mag in the gun looking to see if it would have any contact with the new slid stop and the noes of a bullet.. I did, but just a tad. I stoned a little off so the nose of the bullet just kisses the slid stop but no longer can be felt when sliding the full mag in.. Is this ok? Does this sound like it should be good fitment? I can't run the gun for now. My range permit expired so have to find a place to run the gun a bit.. But does this sound ok or is there a better way to do it? Thanks!! George

·
Registered
Kimber SIS 5"; Guncrafter Industries railed 5"; Doublestar railed 5"
617 Posts
I've found actually firing several magazines (~30) of various ammo through a 1911 the best test as to whether the slide-stop needs further contouring/fitting.

Whether I'm lucky or not, I don't know, but I've used the Wilson "Bullet Proof" model of slide-stop and I didn't need to file on the lobe as it worked fine, as is.

More Info.
I had one or two Kimber slide-stops which needed filing-on-the-lobe.
I had an older (I hear they've changed the design/metal since then) Ed Brown "Hardcore" slide-stop have part of its lobe chip off after ~15,000 rounds, but worked fine with no fitting prior to that breakage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just got done with a ss that needed heavy massaging. First ensure the lobe is atleast .200 measured from inside of ss to top of lobe to ensure reliable engagement on an empty mag. From there i inserted a mag with one round pushed as far as i could go forward in the mag and checked for rubbing. Once cleared you know for sure if the round will bump it during recoil. Also check the clearance between the top of the ss and the bottom of slide. Should have about .015 clearance.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
IME, depending on the individual gun AND individual Wilson slide stop, some require fitting and some don't. Dimensionally, the slide stops seem to vary some too. Like most parts, they are a bit of a crap shoot fitting wise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts