1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one? If you do, how do you like it, or is there an alternative? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Anyone own one? If you do, how do you like it, or is there an alternative? Thanks guys.
Great question about displaying your Wilson pistol. :)

Since I do not own one, I cannot address the presentation box offered by Wilson.

However, if you are in the market, I would suggest at least looking at H. Gerstner & Sons (http://www.gerstnerusa.com).
With a custom order, you could specify:
* dimensions (number of drawers, space for 'pistol/magazines', etc.)
* wood
* hardware
* laser etching on glass
* interior color

·
Registered
502 Posts
^those are nice but more like a jewelry box for weapons.
It's all about the options (i.e., getting exactly what you want).

See the 'Cabot Gun Case' at http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CUSTOMgallery1.htm
Don't like the bottom accessory drawer, because it makes it look like a jewelry box? Just delete it.
Prefer a 'flip-up' lid, instead of a drawer? Just spec it.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
I have a Wilson Presentation Case. Looks nice, and it "is what it is". (I.e., a nice looking case in which to display a 1911, with the highlight being on the 1911 itself).

As others have suggested, cases come in a wide range of flavors, ranging all the way to exquisite boxes designed such that the box itself is a work of art. To my tastes, the Wilson Presentation Case is just about right. It looks nice, but without any superfluous "bling".

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's all about the options (i.e., getting exactly what you want).

See the 'Cabot Gun Case' at http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CUSTOMgallery1.htm
Don't like the bottom accessory drawer, because it makes it look like a jewelry box? Just delete it.
Prefer a 'flip-up' lid, instead of a drawer? Just spec it.
I didnt see that page before. Now that makes sense.

That looks nice.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Personally don't see a need for one. I don't have them out for others to see. When not being shot, cleaned, whatever, they go back in their place. Holster or safe.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will take a look at all of them.

Chrysanthemum, thanks for the Wilson specific review. I kind of figured you may have one.

Jim, you're right about not having them to show off, as they are made to be shot/carried. I do however have a couple of highly polished/finished 1911's. In the extremely rare event I may want another set of eyes to see them, something like this will work. Kind of a "look but don't touch" sort of thing.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Presentation cases can look very nice but I keep my firearms in my safe when not in use.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
try Billscases.com , or for a different style try premierpistol.com both nicely done at a good price.

B.
I'm sure the cases are fine but both of these websites look like they are straight out of 1997. :p

As mentioned above there is a double edged sword to displaying firearms. If you are going to do this I would suggest at the very least that you remove the firing pins. This is how they do it at the NRA museum in Nothern Virginina.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I simply Just don't get it. If your goal is to leave your gun out for others to see, just lay it out on the coffee table. Maybe displayed with a box of cigars or some other sophisticated looking stuff, like the Wilson (and Bir) photo shoots.:)

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
I fully agree that presentation cases aren't for everyone.

However, for someone who, on occasion, wishes to display their 1911 in this manner, the Wilson case is a nice and well-made accessory.

For at least 200+ years, the use of presentation cases in connection with gifts (the most common use) has been a happy tradition.

I'll admit that my Wilson Presentation Case is one of my least often used Wilson products, but it serves (quite well) the purpose it is designed for.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I choose not to display any of my prized firearms. If someone wants eye candy they're welcome to browse my safes.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I agree with not having your firearms on display (due to potential theft). However, in an instance when you are presenting the gun as a gift the presentation can be a big part of it. I am finishing up a build for my father and will be giving it to him in a presentation case. I fully expect it will be stored in his gun safe but when i give it to him i want the effect of the presentation case.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with not having your firearms on display (due to potential theft). However, in an instance when you are presenting the gun as a gift the presentation can be a big part of it. I am finishing up a build for my father and will be giving it to him in a presentation case. I fully expect it will be stored in his gun safe but when i give it to him i want the effect of the presentation case.
I can understand that. A very nice gesture, I bet he will treasure it forever.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts