1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with a FTF problem with my Wilson Protector! It happens with 200SWC H&G #68 style bullets. OAL set at 1.250. All ammo loaded on a Dillon RL550B.

It happens with either the first or second round out of a Wilson 8 round mag. It sort of just "stovepipes" instead of chambering! I talked to John (service rep) today, and he is sending me two more magazines to try.

Have any of the rest of you experienced this type of thing? Should I just stick with the 7 round mags? Should I try 1.255 OAL instead of 1.250? What the heck should I do to eliminate this type of thing? NEED YOUR COMMENTS, PLEASE! I am very frustrated and disappointed right now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
First, I am not a gunsmith and I am only sharing my personal experience in the hope it may help you.

1) I have not had good results with the Wilson mags feeding 200gr SWC. Metalform mags seem to work much better. The feed lips on the Wilson mag release the base of the bullet latter then the Metalform. This seems to tip the front of the bullet higher and makes it more likely to snag the top of the chamber.

2) On some match barrels the "bevel" on the entrance to the chamber does not completely blend into the hood of the barrel and the mouth of the case catches when using 200gr SWC bullets. On my guns which had feeding problems with 200gr SWC: a 1911, a Glock 21 and a Sig 220, I was able to fix the problem by blending in this area of the chamber entrance so there was a smooth transition into the barrel hood.

Good luck. Hope this helps you.
DBR

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a Wilson Protector That I have fired over 100,000 rounds loaded with 200 gr swc,using Wilson 8 round magazines.With no problems.Buy a chamber gauge from Dillon or Midway and check your ammo. BILLG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already done that. At this point, I feel that lemons come in all shapes, and I am really hacked about the whole thing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did the pistol just start doing this or has it been doing it all along?Also does it only happen with just this one magazine or does it do it with all of your mags.If just this one magazine is doing this then John is right on.Wilsons will do what ever it takes to fix this problem.BILLG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been doing it all along! I don't remember if the problem has existed with both of my Wilson 8 round mags, or just one of them.

I have already sent the pistol back to them once for this problem! I even sent a box of my ammo with the gun. The problem still exists! It happens every 200-250 rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts