1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys but I am writing Wilson off. I will never own one of thier guns again unless I buy it used or from a retail dealer at cost. I called those people today to order a Millenium Protector with two options: a short trigger and for them to leave off the "Millenium Protector" markings.

Guess what? I was told that by the sales rep that the guns were offered as listed in the catalog and that the options I asked for were out of the question.

I am a Wilson owner and it is a fine pistola but from now on my 1911 needs will be addressed by a one man shop that actually does custom work not the "here it is" take it or leave it policy. Wilsons is getting to friggin' big and they will pay the price sooner or later. I guess all the smiths are to busy building AR's, shotguns, and knives to install a short trigger in a 1911.

In closing,

Bill it has been nice having your guns but when you forgot that you started a custom shop and started thinking you could be everything you forgot about one thing, the customer. So good luck with your AR's, shotguns, knives, and whatever the hell else your into these days.

Signed,
A pissed ex-customer

·
Registered
47 Posts
WOW
Although I'm disappointed by Wilson's response I'm not totally surprised.

I know they are seriously behind in production of their guns (7 months one day, 8-9 months another). I can't remember seeing a stainless gun from them lately. I know that the only dealers that have guns are those who continued to order in spite of not recieving them.

I more or less thought they would tell you a year or something like that for your order. I know that the "express" program is more like 2 months than 2 weeks.

I could only ask you to talk to Frank at Wilson or call one of the Master Dealers.
I ordered some parts last week and my discussions with the rep on gun orders were not as blunt as yours. I know they have an open job in Customer Service, maybe you found a problem...

BTW I don't see things getting better on the custom gunsmith front. It seems most of these guys are booked 2-3 years minimum for a full house gun if you want a name.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While I can see your point, I have to make sure that people understand that for Bill Wilson, this can be nothing less than a good thing. He has a product, the demand is high, and shear, relentless logic demands that he try and take advantage of this while it lasts. I hope that he can build up his business and reputation that will make Wilson Combat into a full-on nationwide gun manufactuer, replacing S&W or Ruger (sellouts).

These symptoms suck, but it is part of the growing pains of growing from a small company to a medium sized company. We can either be patient, and hope they work them out (and help them by being constructive), or gripe, leave them in a huff, and watch a great gun maker fail.

Donut, having gone through several successful small companies grown too fast.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
AUG

I am a little surprised at what you said your response from Wilson was. I have a special order due in before mid-February with a short trigger. It is also a full hard chrome with ambi safety and a specified 6lb trigger.

The only problem was we ordered the gun (Protector full size) in July 2000 and I, not Wilson, required a substantial deposit for the gun as it is unique and may not move as fast. That is an 7 to 8 month lead for an order or special order.

I can understand the reason for the slide markings and it is proprietory to themake, type, model and builder of the gun. Civil Liability reasons. If your profession is as stated on your profile and you have been party to departmental civil actions you know what I mean. (Yes, my other full time job is same as yours only municipal not county.)

In fact it is either feast or famine. I have had 11 guns arrive in the past week. Eight prepaid orders and three unclaimed. Of those eight. Three others are also special requests. California guns still waiting for approval and one with tool steel part upgrade over MIM (Also ordered in August).

Please let us know with whom you spoke to.

Be safe

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
364 Posts
Aug,

This could be a good case where having the right person, as in someone like a P & T Partners or a Allen Youst, place the special order for you. Yes any special order will take time, but at least you get it the way you want it. Master distributors have much more pull then the end user in most cases.
And sometimes it is just with whom you speak to inside of any organization that makes the difference.

Good shooting,

Dean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aug:

Talked to Frank at Wilson today. Taled about ordering a protector with tritium 428 adjustables. Essentially told me that the special order would take one more month and the current lead was at least 6 months. He told me one smith does all their special orders.

I really think you need to talk to Frank at Wilson or a premier dealer like Terry Peters or Allan Youst and resolve the bad experience you had.

Cliff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should clear something up. The rep was not rude in any way. I paraphrased what he told me. I can't remember what he said word for word but he was very clear that changes to the guns was not going to happen. I got the same thing about them having one guy that does all the changes to the pistols and was told I could request the short trigger but it would add considerible time to the order and may or may not be done to the shipped product. Still I was told that there is NO way they would send the gun out without the "Millenium Protector" markings. That sucks! That is the most stupid name I have ever heard in my life for a gun.

I'm sorry guys but Wilson lost me with that phone call. There have been a few things in the recent past leading up to this and this pushed me over my level.

They are not a custom shop anymore. They are Wilson Production. I'm sorry and I say this as a owner (soon to be former owner) of a Wilson Protector. Wilson parts are good parts but I think some other parts are superior such as Bo Mar sights and Ed Brown grip safeties. But Wilsons is arrogant enough to think the parts they make are the end all be all of parts and won't install nothing else. That is not a Custom shop. Hell Bill used to think enough of the parts I mentioned to install them and speak highly of them in books but now they are not good enough to be installed in his shop? I'm sorry but that don't cut it.

I hope Wilsons makes a pile of money in the future but I have outgrown them or they have outgrown me, I'm not sure which it is.

I used to stand up for the "production custom" guns against the "one man shop" guys but I now say I was wrong for doing so. I am now a "one man shop" guy myself.

[This message has been edited by AUG (edited 02-01-2001).]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry what does this mean:

"If your profession is as stated on your profile"
Did I mis-read the tone or is this one of those things where the typed word does not come out how it is meant?

The reason I don't order from you in the first place is because I get a LE discount from Wilsons. I won't say what it is on open forum but you know what it is and that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I believe asking a company to remove the logo off the slide is unreasonable. It's like asking Heinie, Burns, whoever to remove their names.

As for the trigger, I believe you got the effects of growing pains. My buddy ordered a Millennium Protector WITH adjustable sights and had no problems. He had to wait an extra 3 weeeks for the sights to be installed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is nothing of the same. It still says Wilsons 5 times on the gun. Right grip panel, left grip panel, left side of slide, mfg info on the frame, and on top of the bbl.

It has nothing to do with the manufactuer name it is with the model name.

Wilsons already weighs you down with scribe and logos. Enough is enough.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There is another scribe on the barrel bushing. That's where I hate most. Ed Brown's is the same, but have to live with it.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Actually, I think the Wilson adjustable sight is far superior to the Bo-Mar, xcept it needs some serrations on the rear blade.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
AUG

You misread the tone.

This is why I think email basically stinks as a primary method of communication. Many times email is miscommunication and unintended flame wars start. Notice how your first post could or was interperted as the service representative was rude to you.

I will answer here since you have no off line address posted.

I am certain you are well aware of the potential legal and vicarious (probably spelled wrong and it's late after shift) liability anyone in the law enforcement field faces (after ten year two suits pending). I am certain you are in an organization or association as I am for the legal aid/lawyers provided.

That meaning, the potential for liability actions is probably why no blank or unnamed major components ie. slide, barrels and frames. Those parts are proprietary to Wilson Combat. I know the Ed Brown is the same about using other manufacturers componets/parts. Novak will use other brands/makers but if you make a bad choice you will hear it and one man shop will also. One thing on the one man shops. I have had a small shop tell me in no uncertain terms my choice of a part or idea I had was "dumb" (they were much more tactful).

Your method of acquistion is your business and I highly respect that.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'm off base on the slide markings according to you guys but the slide would still be marked "Wilson Combat" on the left side of the slide. I mean Wilson sells frames and slides without the markings so they obiously don't think it is a liability issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Aug,

Since your Protector has Wilson's name plastered all over it and you have indicated you want to get rid of it, I'll do you a favor and take that piece of S#$% off your hands for you...... no charge to you of course.....

Good shooting,

Dean

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never said it was a POS. Much the opposite. It is a very good pistol. It is a protest sell not a "bad product" sell. A guy in town has been wanting it for a while and later today it will be his. Good thing about Wilsons is the fact that people think they are the greatest thing on earth and pay princely sums for them used. Regardless of the excessive scribe. But when someone buys their first nice/expensive gun they want that crap wrote everywhere it will fit to show people what they have. Wilsons is happy to oblige.

I ask the moderator to close this thread because I have made my point and I don't wish to insult people by putting down their gun/gun maker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.