1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been changing out the slide releases on my 1911's with Wilson's, purchased through Brownells. I sent the first one I received back because it had this "popped bubble" look in the finish:

When I ordered two more, they both look the same way and I am wondering if this is normal? I have a Wilson Extended from years back that is perfect, as are the EGW and CMC versions I've used in other guns. I can see this probably doesn't matter for function, but it still bums me a little.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This parts material stuff is tricky, just when I thought I was beginning to understand, I get confused again. For the record here is the response I got from a Wilson employee on their forum:
--------------------------------------------
David,

Our replacement slide stops were orginally cast. They are now ejection molded, which makes for a much more precise and denser metal part. What you are looking at is an ejection mold mark that will be on all the slide stops.

I showed it to one of our master pistol smiths that has worked here for 20 years. Truthfully he laughed and said it would not make a bit of difference, but if it really bothers you, a couple of strokes with a sanding stick will totally remove it.

We feel it is much better to have a part that is very precise and extremely strong, than to worry about a slight cosmetic mark that is hidden inside the gun.

Thank you for choosing Wilson's.

Frank Robbins
Wilson Combat
-------------------------------------------

Is "ejection molding" a different process than injection molding? I am now confused about which is better - cast, MIM or MEM?? Or is it totally dependent on the actual material being used? Going into this I thought the Wilson stop to be one of the best and not MIM. It occurs to me that a lot of people out there might be replacing their dreaded MIM parts with yet more MIM. And yes, Brownells is a fantastic thing.

[This message has been edited by David Joyal (edited 08-01-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.