1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Stealth upper complete with slide, barrel etc. fit and function on a colt commander lower?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I would highly doubt it. Two different fits. Real question is, why would you want to?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I don't know why that would not work. The Stealth is based on a compact slide with a heavy flange barrel, standard ramp.

An officer size slide on a commander frame is often called a "Commanding Officer" and works fine. DISCLAIMER-DISCLAIMER-DISCLAIMER As with all times proper fitting and timing would be required, no such thing as true drop in parts.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I fail to even understand the question. Isn't this variation already offered as the "Elite Professional" Model? Full-sized frame, 4.1" flanged barrel/slide ...

AC

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
An officer size slide on a commander frame is often called a "Commanding Officer" and works fine.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about the "Concealed Carry Officer's" (CCO) model, which features a compact frame and 4.25" Commander slide? This is a desirable and effective gun that effectively matches the configuration of a standard Wilson SDS/Stealth (save for the fact that the SDS comes in at 4.1").

I only ask because, while your data is correct, the "Commanding Officer" model was a very limited-run model that most folks have never even heard about before. While you're right about the configuration (full-size/Commander frame, 3.5" slide) this was never a good gun conceptually. The only reason these weren't totally dismissed out-of-hand is because they were a Colt Custom Shop product. Still ... the shortest slide on the longest frame? A pretty dumb idea all-around where the 1911 is concerned, no matter who builds it.

AC

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Are you sure you aren't thinking about the "Concealed Carry Officer's" (CCO) model, which features a compact frame and 4.25" Commander slide? This is a desirable and effective gun that effectively matches the configuration of a standard Wilson SDS/Stealth (save for the fact that the SDS comes in at 4.1").

I only ask because, while your data is correct, the "Commanding Officer" model was a very limited-run model that most folks have never even heard about before. While you're right about the configuration (full-size/Commander frame, 3.5" slide) this was never a good gun conceptually. The only reason these weren't totally dismissed out-of-hand is because they were a Colt Custom Shop product. Still ... the shortest slide on the longest frame? A pretty dumb idea all-around where the 1911 is concerned, no matter who builds it.

AC
No not the CCO, I have built a few of those. I think OP is refereing to an Officer (or compact) slide on Standard frame (Commander in this case). Had a buddy of mine call it the Lieutenant Commander once, thought that was brilliant since LCDR's are typically not quite...uh...ready for command yet :), but I know Colt refered to it as the the Commanding Officer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will a Wilson Stealth upper, complete slide, barrel etc fit and function on a Colt Commander lower.

It's not a difficult question. If anyone knows the answer it would be welcome. If you do not know the answer please refrain from spouting off your opinions as to why a person would want to do it or not.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
No problem. If you are the Blue82 BK I have bought a few cool ones from you over the years :)

And keep in mind that some Stealth's in the past were built with ramped barrels, so obviously that wouldn't fit.
And you might also run into some that need the slide/frame fitted...but if the slide fits on the frame it will probably work just fine.

The Stealth was originally designed as a Custom Colt Officer's ACP, then we used many Springfield Compacts, then the Compact slide and frame we use now.
The frame rails are the same on the Officers/Compact as a Colt Commander.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that's me and thanks again. I still have way too many weapons. I've just been too lazy to get them on GB to get rid of them. The Stealth I'm fooling around with now I bought straight from Wilson somewhere around the 2000 to 2002 range. My son mentioned he had tried to interchange the slide on a light weight commander and couldn't get it on. I haven't looked at it yet but that's why I ask. I appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts