1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a purchase. Anyone out there a proud owner of a Wilson TE? What's your experience with them? If you've shot an Ed Brown Bobtail, can you compare a TE to the Brown?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Paladin,

Sorry but I can't help you much. I might be picking up the Stealth (The TE's little brother) in the near future. I've been talking with Terry, so hopefully, we can nail down exactly what I want by the end of the month. Assuming you get the Tactical Elite, let me know how you like it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I got to hold a "Bobtail" once. I strongly suggest that you shoot it before you buy it. It has a very different feel about it.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
79 Posts
traevin,

I picked up a Stealth back in 99.

Mine is an awesome piece of work!

You will not regret it if you get one; though I have no experience with the TE my Stealth is the best pistol I have ever owned. My Sigs and H&K's are really good weapons, but my WC Stealth is in a class by itself..

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
LONE WOLF,

That's what I keep hearing. I think a lot of people look at the CQB Compact and decide the Stealth isn't worth an extra grand. I once did; but I'm slowing changing my way of thinking. Besides, the Stealth would probably holds its retail value much better than the CQB.

According to his website, even Bill Wilson carries a CQB. And call it a hunch; but I have a feeling he can afford the Stealth or Tactical Elite. I'm guessing the CQB is the best selling pistol Wilson produces, which might also ecplain why Bill carries one.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
This response may be a little premature, but it may interest you. I just received a Wilson Tactical Elite with hard chrome finish that I got from Greg at Mombassa.

Haven't fired it yet, but just inspecting and handling it is a pleasure. It is super tight, but the slide just glides on the frame. Trigger is super. Fit and finish are fantastic. The large tapered cone barrel gives it a nice feel and balance.

Although I do not have a lot of 1911 experience, I have had a couple over the years and have been shooting various pistols and rifles for over 40 years. This gun is superior to anything else that I have seen - including Baers and Browns. I have a stainless protector which is very nice too, but you can tell the difference between the two.

A lot of ranting for one who has not shot it yet, but I have no doubt that will be a great experience too. Plan to break it in this weekend. If you can stand any more fawning over this piece I'll let you know how it goes.

------------------
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
510 Posts
purdy!!

FB3 - fawn away... I'd be very interested in a specific "shootability" comparison between the new TE and your stainless protector,,, muzzle flip, time back to target, that sorta stuff.

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
271 Posts
If it weren't for those ugly front slide serrations. I can't spend that kinda money on a pistol and not get exactly what I want!

kinda like getting a Ferarri in a color you don't like.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm with Havoc, great pics--let us know how you enjoy shooting it. All the details you encounter. Thanks!

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Took the Tactical Elite to the range today and put 400 rounds thru it. I am very very happy with this pistol. Fired Federal 230 FMJ, [email protected] 230 FMJ, Rem 185 JHP, Fed 230 Hydra Shock, PMC 230 FMJ, and Win 185 Silver Tip.

Only one fail to feed - the seventh round of Win 185 silver tip. Slide locked open, round still in magazine. Had about 50 rds thru gun at time.

The gun is extremely accurate. Much better than I can shoot or see. Some variation between ammo. Liked Fed Hydra Shock a lot. Close second Rem 185 JHP. Fed, PMC, FMJ pretty good. [email protected] and Win were the worst accuracy wise, but even I could keep it all in about 3" at 15 yards from a sitting position holding over a cushion.

I found that the extra weight at the muzzle definitely reduces muzzle rise and enables quicker, more accurate second shots. Very stable platform.

The only thing that was a little uncomfortable for me at first was the serations on the front strap. Just a bit sharp for me, but quickly forgotten after shooting several magazines. Also have sore fingers from loading mags. Not guns fault.

Is the value there for the dollars? I feel that it definitely is. Even at my relatively low level of experience with 1911's I can appreciate the quality of this gun. I would much rather have one TE than two or three other guns, and I am one who believes that more is better.

Saying that, there are a lot of very good guns available now for less money. If you can swing a Wilson you won't be sorry, but the important thing is to enjoy the shooting and have fun.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for sharing your range experience with the TE. Sounds like a winner. I'll probably order one in the Fall. With the extra weight, how is the draw from the holster? Do you wear an IWB for it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a Wilson tiger shark paddle holster for this gun, but don't carry it for SD. Really can't give you an opinion on this one.

However, I can certainly tell you that you will absolutely love the gun. It is definitely worth the wait and the bucks. As good as the Protector is, even I can tell the difference in the TE. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Paladin

When I carry it I do carry IWB in a Ky-Tac Braveheart and it's very comfortable. I haven't noticed any draw time differences from the TE to my other 1911s and when I first got it I couldn't tell the weight difference either.

I did notice the slightest weight difference when I pick up my Caspian 5" and the TE side by side. It doesn't feel heavier to me. It just feels balanced differently.

I seriously don't think you will have a difference in draw due to the heavy barrel.

I promise I will have a report in as soon as I can. Lotsa personal stuff going on behind the scenes for me. If anyone knew what's going on they'll be able to tell you I'll have plenty of time on my hands to write these reports up.

I want to do a report on my Lauck Professional model which I have over 6000 rounds through and the Tactical Elite which is about to break the 2000 round mark.

Keep your eyes open
Ross T.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rosanghal--Thanks for the feedback. Hope all is well with you and that the personal stuff isn't negative.

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts