1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my favorite gun store this afternoon and saw a rare Wilson Thunder Ranch pistol. This one is brand new, I think it was number 44. Wilson only made 50 of these a few years ago. The store owner told me that the folks at Wilson thought that they sold all the TR, but they found this one at the back of the safe (so to speak). It has the #367 Nite Eyes sights, front strap checkering, along with all the usual features found on this type of gun. It was built on Caspian frame and slide, the finish was Armor Tuff. It was a really beautiful pistol. And now for the price, $2100.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
RickyT

If I remember the original catalog listing on the gun was about $2595 retail. Same as a Defensive Combat Pistol

Be safe

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terry,
Holy cow, I didn't realize how expensive that pistol was. My Wilson catalog collections only goes back to 1998, so I can't check on the original price. Do you remember what finish it had? I thought it was black parkarized. Thanks for the reply.
RT

·
Administrator
10,873 Posts
According to my 96 catalog & price list, retail was $2446.88 for the complete gun with Caspian frame & slide, parkerized finish. For Black-T, same frame, the price bumps up to $2549. Impressive memory, Terry.

TB., NC

·
Registered
802 Posts
RickyT

I remember asking Terry about the prices on used Wilson TRS's a few months ago and IIRC he said "used" should be around $2000-2100. Also said they're difficult to find since collectors bought them.

My catalog with price list from Jan 95 listed the "Limited Edition" TR prefix serial # TRS's with Caspian frame/polymer as $2169 and parkerized as $2049. Must have been popular since the price jumped $400 in 96.

The package built on a customer supplied gun, one of which I've seen, was listed as $1450-$1560 on suitable base gun from customer.

Better buy it since it's still the at 1995 price

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ask Paladin what he paid for HIS two Wilson TRs.... wink wink.. evil grin....

No, he won't tell you ... But he got Clint and Heidi's.

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited 03-05-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Bubba:
Ask Paladin what he paid for HIS two Wilson TRs.... wink wink.. evil grin....

No, he won't tell you ... But he got Clint and Heidi's.

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited 03-05-2001).]
I remember when #1 and #2 was up for sale. I thought they wanted $5000 for both. I would like to have the TRS, but at this time I just don't have any play money left.

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TRS has found a good home. No it's not me, but I get to visit.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Oh, I'm dissappointed that I missed that Wilson TR. I would have liked to have had a shot at picking it up to add to my little collection. At least that one I would have carried when I didn't my Baer TR.

Ricky T--I take it from your comment that the gun sold?

Bubba--You're right, only my insurance agent knows for sure. Clint's #1 Wilson TR is sitting on it's display stand on my desk in the library (I use it whenever Colonel Mustard or Mrs. Peacock come over, in the library). Heidi's #2 is in wraps in my safe, I'll take it to the range from time to time, just to air it out.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Paladin:

Ricky T--I take it from your comment that the gun sold?

Paladin, Yes it is sold. The owner said that it is the best "feeling", smoothest gun he ever shot, better than his CQB, Baer, custom Kimbers. Maybe he it's psychological, maybe he just wants to justify the acquisition. He said he'll shoot it a little from time to time but mainly it's gonna be wrapped up and hidden away, only to come out and play at special occasions.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Ricky T--See if you can get the guy who bought it to post on this forum and let us know first hand about his experience with the sidearm. Wish I had had another 24 hours so I could have gotten into the game to buy that piece. Oh well, perhaps there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I remember a while back, Wilson was advertising some very limited edition Super Grades. Did you buy one of these as well, Paladin?

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paladin,
I fondled the TRS yesterday ! Sweeeet ! I'm sure the owner will reveal himself after awhile. For some reason he wants to remain anonymous at this time. He won't even tell our other local friends, he's very secretive. He waited a few day before buying the piece to give me the first shot at the Wilson. He really loves that pistol, it's like he's just brought a new baby from the hospital. I'll try to take pictures of it and post it on the forum when he's ready. BTW, who made the smooth grips with the Thunder Ranch logo? We wondered how we can get spare grips.

·
Registered
802 Posts
RickyT

I believe you can still get the smooth standard thickness logo grips from the pro shop at Thunder (Wilson's no longer carries replacements). Have a set on mine that are a very dark red (almost black) with veining. A spare set for shooting is a pretty good idea, as mine have picked up a few dings. Don't remember if they had the original lighter "tan" versions or not...

HTH

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JSP,
Thanks for the info. I will relay it to my "friend". His grips are the lighter tan kind like you said.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Traevin--Didn't buy one of the super grades, on advice of some of my favorite dealers and gunsmiths. Why spend the money on a Super Grade when I can invest in a custom pistol from a great gunsmith? There comes a point when you get to the top of the custom production guns and it doesn't make sense to do it, they compete with a true custom side arm. The only one I may blink at would be the a top of the line Brown.

RickyT--Yep, call Thunder Ranch and they'll sell you whatever TR grips they have in their shop case. There are some nice ones. I'm not partial to smooth stocks, especially on a combat weapon. I want that grip to stick to my sweaty palm like glue. I like the cross-hatches on the stocks that come standard on the Baer TR. You could always call Les Baer, unless that Wilson beauty objects to cross-polinization. Yeah, that Wilson TR sure is a beauty, isn't it? Fondling is the operative word.....

------------------

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I shot the TRS tonight. Fired 5 shots from 15 yards into one ragged hole about 1.5". Impressive. It was exactly what I expected from a Wilson. The owner said he'll shoot 500 rounds through it and then he's going to retire the gun !

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
It's like owning a '57 Chevy convertible and not being able to drive it! What a shame to take it off the range! (Actually, I did own a '57 Chevy convertible and had it restored to showroom condition--bought it from Willie Nelson back in the late '80's. It got so glossy, I couldn't drive it, so I sold it!)

The only gun I've ever retired is Clint's Wilson #1. But even that one I'll break out for special occasions. Hopefully, if he retires it, he'll get tired of it and want to sell.... heh, heh.

RickyT--had fun shooting that little gem, huh?

------------------

1 - 20 of 24 Posts