1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I talk to says that Wilson mags are the best. Does anyone have any experience with Les Baer 7 or 8 rounders vs. Wilson 7/8 rounders? I'm curious to know, because I'm thinking about getting a Les Baer. I figure that with their high quality pistols, they could probably produce a comparable magazine. Their catalog says that the mags have a mirror finish inside of them for feed reliability. Need input.

themao

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
They both are made by the same company. The Baer is probably the better buy. You get a polished mag for .46 less.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The base pad on the Baer magazines is plastic and will break. Baer recently sent me a replacement free, which was also plastic. The metal Wilson base pads don't fit the Baer magazines.

------------------
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oddly enough, I bought three Les Baer 8 rounders for my dad's Kimber and he has a problem with the followers shooting out of them. Go figure...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use primarily Wilson 7 round magazines with the thin, aluminum base pads. These are my favorite 1911 magazines and I have never experienced a malfunction with them.

I recently bought a Les Baer gun that came with three 7 round magazines. First off, the Baer 7 round and 8 round magazines are EXACTLY the same, except the 8 rounders have one extra status hole drilled in the sides. The follower and spring are the same, and you can fit 8 rounds into the 7 rounders without a problem. I don't know why they even bother to make a "7" round version, but I suspect it serves a marketing function, because some folks (like me) have greater confidence in 7 round magazines.

So far, I have had no problems with my Baer mags. The base pads are plastic, but are thick and seem sturdy. For the past several months, I've been carrying a Wilson mag (with the lower-profile aluminum base pad) in the gun, with a Baer mag on my hip as a spare.

I'm considering replacing the springs and followers in the Baers with Wilson 7 round kits. Not that I've experienced any problems with the Baer mags, but that the Wilson stuff has my 100% confidence based upon several years of continuous use without incident. While they're both good mags, I still prefer the Wilson.
-Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
I believe there are only 2 major 1911 Government model pistol magazine manufacturer in this country. One is Metalform who makes mags for Colt, ShootingStar/Chip McCormic and Ed Brown (and Metalform brand obviously). Second one is located in North Carolina (I think and I don't remember the name) and he makes Wilson and Les Baer mags. Only other maker of good quality mag is MecGar who makes Pachmayer mags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts