1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed today, while looking into ordering a new Elite Professional, that a bobtail is no longer an option. :mad: WTH is up with that?!? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was informed today, while looking into ordering a new Elite Professional, that a bobtail is no longer an option. :mad: WTH is up with that?!? :rolleyes:
When you bobtail a 1911 the mainspring is altered, that can be a weakness. I personally own a NHC bobtail and do not see any advantage in concealment. If you are wanting the sharp MSH removed the Wilson round butt is the way to go. I will not buy another bobtail ymmv.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a bobtail Pro, and I like it. But the round butt treatment solves the same problem for me, which is the sharp bottom corner of the frame that digs into my hand and also makes a sharp point during concealment. The round butt is the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you bobtail a 1911 the mainspring is altered, that can be a weakness. I personally own a NHC bobtail and do not see any advantage in concealment. If you are wanting the sharp MSH removed the Wilson round butt is the way to go. I will not buy another bobtail ymmv.
I have several bobtailed Commanders/Pro sized 1911's and even more rounded butt guns. There's a huge difference between a rounded butt (all 6 of my Wilson's have it) and a BT IMO. Plus, it's MY money. So I want what I want. BTW, Chuck Rogers' round butt is about the only replacement for a bobtail IMO. Got a few of those too. ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. My Brown bobtail conceals FAR better than anything, shoots as well as any of my government models and is completely reliable.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was disappointed as well when Wilson discontinued this option. I was going to sent my Professional in for this option.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
When you bobtail a 1911 the mainspring is altered, that can be a weakness.
Just curious, is this your assumption? Or is this based on substantiated fact? I own several bobtails and would want to find out more if this is true. Can you provide a source or a link to where I can read up more on this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Seems Wilson is further distancing themselves from being a custom builder.
They will build you anything you like,.....as long as you pick from the menu!

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
We offer many, many more options than any other large shop. It was just time to trim the "out of shop" options and parts. The other reality is that the bobtail simply is not very popular and over the last few years the round butt has eclipsed it 20-1 as a custom option. There are certain "gungineering" reasons why we prefer the round butt also but the main reason is that outside the forums it was never wildly popular.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just curious, is this your assumption? Or is this based on substantiated fact? I own several bobtails and would want to find out more if this is true. Can you provide a source or a link to where I can read up more on this? Thanks.
Looks like L84cabo got that for you. Not only is that WCR's stand but a few other top tier smiths. I still stand by my statement that for ME a BT conceals no better then a standard grip.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
No matter how much we personally like a product, business is all about making money. Using "out of shop options" has a cost. Trimming those can save money and delivery time.

Maybe for Wilson it is a 20-1 ratio. But that doesn't mean it is not a popular feature. Some like it, some don't.

I don't buy into the reliability part. Maybe not many, but so far I have 8,500 rounds through an Ed Brown bobtail pistol with no issues. I don't know about the "gungineering" aspect. But if there is an issue they will take care of it the same way Wilson would.

But to say outside of the forum it was never wildly popular has me scratching my head. Maybe the Wilson forum. I seldom see a bobtail pistol on store shelves, of any maker, not even a Dan Wesson. But I do see many round and square of all makers.

Everyone has a personal favorite of everything. Who likes only vanilla ice cream or only new york steak? Oops, I do.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,622 Posts
No matter how much we personally like a product, business is all about making money. Using "out of shop options" has a cost. Trimming those can save money and delivery time.

Maybe for Wilson it is a 20-1 ratio. But that doesn't mean it is not a popular feature. Some like it, some don't.

I don't buy into the reliability part. Maybe not many, but so far I have 8,500 rounds through an Ed Brown bobtail pistol with no issues. I don't know about the "gungineering" aspect. But if there is an issue they will take care of it the same way Wilson would.

But to say outside of the forum it was never wildly popular has me scratching my head. Maybe the Wilson forum. I seldom see a bobtail pistol on store shelves, of any maker, not even a Dan Wesson. But I do see many round and square of all makers.

Everyone has a personal favorite of everything. Who likes only vanilla ice cream or only new york steak? Oops, I do.:rolleyes:
Well stated Jim. I'll add that what I think WCR was trying to say was that outside of this forum, the folks that order Wilson 1911's rarely choose the bobtail option. We often have a tendency to think of the Wilson community as the folks that visit this forum, but in reality we are a limited portion of their orders that come in from many other sources. While I personally am not a big fan of the bobtail, I have nothing against it for those who do like it - just not an option I would personally select (I prefer the round butt).

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
FYI, a bobtailed conversion uses an officer size main spring. There is no alteration to the original spring, just throw it away and put an officer spring in.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts