1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Wilson leave the extra materiel on the frame where the beavertail sits and doesn’t contour it like most custom smiths do? It seems like a 2-minute job and leaves something to be desired.
Mine is a CQB that shoots great. I changed the sights to Heinie slant pro's and had the internals upgraded at Wilson’s.

I also think the Mag Well could be beveled a little more.

After posting this I decided to call Wilson and ask them about the beavertail and beveling the mag well. I also asked if the ambi safety could be contoured a little.

I was told that they can do it all but I will have to pay them at $60 per hour plus $110 to refinish the frame.

IMO it should have all been done before the gun left the factory

[This message has been edited by Shay (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree. My Wilson's required some work before I was happy with them as well (both cosmetic and mechanical/functional).... remember, these are "semi" production guns.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This is what I found several years ago, when I started searching information for my first 1911 purchase.
http://www.m1911.org/technic7.htm

The first 2 pictures are from the old Wilson catalog. I'm sure the guns perform flawlessly, but those were the things that kept me from choosing it at the first place. I finally went with the Baer.

I'm also surprised that they have to charge you to make it up to par with the other semi-custom guns.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Seems strange to me, as well. For the prices Wilson charges, you'd think attention to detail would be a given. Keep complaining to customer service and maybe they'll eventually realize that Wilson owners expect more for pistols costing $1500 and up.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Traevin

Been reading the Wilson forum for close to a year now, and for a long time, this forum was one of the dullest - nothing to discuss really other than the occasional new purchase.

In the last couple of months there has been a bump in complaints, and I can't help but wonder if the addition of shotguns and AR's to the product line have caused a slip in QC or time spent on handguns?

Curious, as my Wilson's have been flawless performers since day one - 100% reliable and extremely accurate, but they were built a couple years ago or more. It seems the pistols of recent production are the ones getting sent back.

Wilson will make it right, but a Wilson should function reliably from the shop.

JSP

·
Registered
394 Posts
The fitting of the beavertail on my Wilson sucked. I could do better with a dremel tool. Then again I'm no fan of Wilsons AR, Shotgun and Knife company. Wait a minute? Do they still make pistols?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts