1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to the old ultralight trigger?

I just received one from Brownells and the shoe has been changed to a different configuration. The shoe appears to be heavier than the old one. Unfortunately, I don't have one of the old ones to weigh, so I don't know if it really is heavier. The stirrups are still lightened like the old ones, but the shape of the shoe is not the same. I guess from other threads that I've read, Wilson's has changed parts vendors at different times, for different parts.

If this is what they are selling now, I need to re-think what I'm going to recommend to customers for an aluminum, three hole trigger.
I really like SVI's for a super light black trigger (especially since they included a take up adjustment tab), but they have quit making them (I'm told) since they developed the new ones with the two piece shoes (which I'm not crazy about in an aesthetic sense). STI still makes the same trigger, but without the take up tab.

Dlask triggers never fit without a bunch of work (and the stirrups are pretty soft).
Videki's are well built, but I would rather limit thier use to 3.5# and heavier trigger jobs because of trigger bounce worries down the road.
Anyone know where to buy the old Wilson ultralight triggers?
Thanks
John Harrison

[This message has been edited by Precision Gunworks (edited 02-16-2001).]

G

·
There was a time when I did not think very highly of Wilson parts, but that has changed due to the guy now in charge of design, development, and vendor oversight. I have to think that if the trigger has changed it's for the better-- any chance you're missing something? I will try to talk to this guy today and ask him about it.

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
John,
I'll be glad to sell you one off my Protector.

G

·
Yeah-- just talked to the guy. He did not remember the comparitive weights off the top of his head. He did however mention that weight was of course considered in the change, and that it is still well within the range of safe and lightweight; there is an increase but not such that it would hurt anything.... a matter of a few grains. He also mentioned that the bow is now adjustable for pretravel. The bow itself is actually made from a slightly heavier gage, but, adding a few thou to the thickness here will result in an almost imperceptible weight increase, probably even offset by the pretravel adjustment cut. The gage thickness was upped for greater durability and ridgidity.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ciao-Kapow,

I may just be having an old crotchety (sp?) day. I just hate having a supplier change the design on a part (as much as this one was changed) without introducing it as a different part, so you'd know about the change when you are ordering. I too, like most of Wilson's parts. I try to use what my customers request within reason of what is safe and of good quality. I haven't had great luck with the BP extractors ( didn't use them on very many guns before going back to Ed Brown's) but really haven't had any problems with other stuff.
I am curious to know what's up with the change (sheepishly thinking:"shoulda called Wilson's before getting so grippy in public).

Good Shooting!!
John

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Hi John,
I wieghed the triggers for you, Wilson ultralight 93 grains, Videki speed trigger 110 grains, STI carbon fiber 45 grains. If you take a close look at the Wilson and Videki.I believe Videki makes the Wilsons, the shoes are staked in the same manner. I like the Videki triggers better than the Wilsons. They seem to fit up better with the full profile bow. I lighten the Vidkeki by taking a 3/32 carbide mill and slot the trigger bow in the center to remove wieght. This leaves the bow stiffer. I start a 1/4 inch slot, skip an 1/8, for 3 slots. I never weighed this trigger but it`s probably comprable to the Wilson in weight, Hope this helps you out

The MetalSmith

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Metalsmith!
I was remembering the old Wilson ultralight as being in the mid-70 grain weight, but I don't seem to remember numbers well. Was the one you weighed one of the original ones or one of the new ones? The weights you list are what I remember for the Videki and the STI.
I haven't been bothering to try lightening cuts in trigger bows since Wilson originally came out with that trigger. That's a pretty neat way you are cutting those Videkis. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Best Regards,
John Harrison

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my rant mode is back "on" again. I was just looking at Brownells catalog (too much time on my hands) and noticed that just below the old Wilson ultralight trigger is another trigger that looks identical to what I just received. This one is marked Nowlin and sells for $12.00 less than Wilson !!

The more I think about it, the more cranked I get. I'm substituted a different trigger than what I wanted and I'm paying 28% more for it to be in a Wilson's bag rather than a Nowlin bag. I don't mean to imply that I don't care for Nowlin's parts. On the contrary, I would rather use Nowlin's barrels (when the customer spec's stainless) than anyone else's. I guess I need to call Brownells Monday to voice my displeasure.
Okay, blood pressure returning to normal. Rant mode "off".
John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Guys,
I think you have finally hit on it. Nowlin's
trigger looks so much like the Wilson's that it probably is a Nowlin with some addition metal removed on the back of the Trigger.
If you look at a McCormick it will have the same bow but a different face.
The longer your in this business, you will find that a Few make Most of the parts. Price is ususally determined by the quanity.

------------------
Richard Heinie

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Hi John, its a old Wilson

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
John,

If you like the take up tabs, here's an idea
that I've used. Take your dremel with the thin cut off wheel, and make two parallel
cuts vertically just to one side of the shoe about 1/3 to 1/2 way down and about 1/16 apart. Take your needle nose pliers and bend
out to adjust the desired amount of takeup.

I've used this method successfully when I needed to in the past.

Regards,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts