1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of breaking in a new Springfield TRP Pro. I started with 500 rounds of Winchester White Box in the 100 round value packs. During the first 200 rounds I had 3 instances of jacketing come off the bullet straight back at my torso. It stung but didn’t break the skin. Then another 100 rounds and I had one instance of jacketing come straight back at me. During the last 200 rounds I had several more instances of jacketing coming straight back at me. In one case it hurt like hell and I had to put the gun down and take a breather. It’s been 5 days now and I still have a yellowing bruise and small lump near the top of my ribcage. In all my years of shooting I have never experienced this much jacketing coming straight back at me. Anybody else run into this with the value pack winchester?

I then ran 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle ball thru it without a single incident of jacketing coming back at me. The federal did seem a bit more accurate as well.

BTW this thing is awesome. The accuracy is amazing. The trigger pull has smoothed out nicely. The 20 LPI is a little rough by the end of a couple hundred rounds but you do get a good grip on it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the trap. I know of 1 range in town that does that. I don't go there anymore.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Sounds like the barrel is lapping out nice and smooth... :)
I assume this is an indoor range. Find another place to shoot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
When shooting at steel targets or ranges with steel backstops fairly close, it's not uncommon to get lead or jacket material splashed back. If you go to a cowboy shoot and stand too close to the shooting line when they are shooting at steel targets only a handful of yards away, you'll frequently get peppered with little pieces of lead. That's why it's important to have eye protection on at all times on the range.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 50 foot indoor range and I was punching paper. I have been going there for about ten years. I will have to take a look at the back stop next time I am there. All the Winchester was shot on the far left lane. The Federal was shot on one of the center lanes. I guess it could be coming back and since I was along the wall it could be funneling back at me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts