1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question in the General Gun Discussion without thinking. This is the better forum. Sorry.

Saturday, I bought a box of 20 Winchester 185-grain Silvertip .45 ACP rounds. When I fired some of them at the range Sunday, I got huge clouds of blue-gray smoke, a lot more smoke than I'm used to in "smokeless cartridges".

They also hit low. That may or may not be a related phenomenon.

Anyone have any insight as to why these "modern smokeless cartridges" smoked almost as much as black powder cartridges?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Don't know about the blue smoke but I do know that these were our dept. loads for several years. They shoot low because their velocity is high and your sights are most likely indexed for hardball of a lower velocity.

Because of their shape they can be a troublesome round when it comes to feeding. Make sure they are reliable in your gun before depending on them for defense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by Patrickl:

Because of their shape they can be a troublesome round when it comes to feeding. Make sure they are reliable in your gun before depending on them for defense.
I had always thought Silvertips were supposed to be among the more reliable feeders.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have shot several boxes of 185gr. silver tips in my Kimber, without any problems. I don't remember any unusually thick smoke. Were you shooting indoors or out ?

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisS:
Originally posted by Patrickl:
I had always thought Silvertips were supposed to be among the more reliable feeders.
Not in our experience, which is why this load is no longer our standard duty issue. I never had any problem with them but then again I refused to use the dept. issue gun.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chappy, I shoot at an indoor range.

Winchester couldn't explain the smoke, either. They wanted me to send the unused ammo to them, but I had already given it away.

If I had to guess, I'd say those loads had a smidgen of oil contaminating the powder.

Patrickl, they fed okay. At least, ten rounds did, before I gave the rest of the box away.
I've got some plain Winchester 230-grain JHPs (in a white box; does that make them "white box" ammo?) that I keep in the clip for things that go bump in the night. They hit right on POA at across-the-living-room distances.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always liked this round in my P-90. I always found the 185 grain silvertip to be fairly accurate and I have never had a problem with feeding.
This is actually the only light round I ever use in .45

------------------
"I do not set much value on the friendship of people who do not succeed in getting disliked by their enemies."

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
My recollection is that low-velocity Silvertips - like .45 ACP vs 9mm, .357 - have aluminum jackets and that aluminum must be lubricated in contact with steel. Therefore a .45 Silvertip has a lube groove almost like a cast bullet. That's what is smoking. If you want a mild, smooth feeding load in a copper jacket, try the Remington 185 JHP - not Golden Sabre, not +P, just the original load in the green and yellow box. I use it in my LW Commander.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts