1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this ammo??? I got a box of it for under $19 with birthday discount at MidWayUSA.

·
Registered
15,530 Posts
"Service grade" means you are expected to clean your weapon after shooting it. (or as civilians pukes say - "it's dirty ammo") Watch for squibs. Definitiely save the brass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect it's no different than WWB.

Yes I clean my gun every range trip. If it's been more than a week I break my pistol down, and oil it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
the local ammo store in my area has the brown box Winchester Service Grade for $15.69 a box regular price ,

thats cheaper than WWB from WALMART

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
I suspect it's no different than WWB.

Yes I clean my gun every range trip. If it's been more than a week I break my pistol down, and oil it.
But it is.......
There’s another thread running on that topic.
The brown box is a bit hotter and seems to be more consistent than normal junk WWB.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Anyone have experience with this ammo??? I got a box of it for under $19 with birthday discount at MidWayUSA.
It’s OK target stuff.
Not to be rude, but that’s not a deal. Especially with a discount.
If you buy a case (10) from SG or Lucky gunner, it comes out to $13 and change.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was given a box of this last summer and was surprised at how well it did through my WC Professional Model, so much so that I ordered a case of the stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The newer "service grade" (in 9mm) is different that the older stuff. I've shot a bunch of it. The older stuff had a flat nose. The latest bunch I bought has a round nose. It "feels" to me like it's not as hot. I don't have a chronograph, but the older feels like it has slightly more recoil, and is a little louder. The new stuff definitely is smokier and smells different than the old. I have some of the new, and some of the old, and I've shot it back to back. I haven't shot any WWB in a while, but I suspect the newer service grade is just WWB in a different box.

A theory I have....that's just a guess. When Winchester comes out with "new" ammo, ie, "Service Grade" "USA Ready" ect they use their best lines, and components. After people buy this new, hot, clean reliable ammo for a while they switch the lines and components over to another new line. The older stuff becomes rebranded WWB.

Browning is getting (back?) into selling ammo. It's my understanding that Winchester is manufacturing it. My brother in law bought a box (150) of 9mm 124 grain. It was good shooting, not smokey, not funny smelling ammo. I bought....... a bunch. I suspect after a while the price will go up and the quality will go down.

Again, this is just a theory, but there's definitely a difference between the early "Service Grade" I've bought compared to what I've bought recently.

I clean my guns regularly so I'm not concerned with "dirty" ammo. Both the new and old service grade has gone BANG every time I've pulled the trigger. There's just a noticeable difference between the new and the old.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Well, you may have one thing accurate....you never can tell what these guys are going to dump on you. I’ll go along with the theory that Winchester will toss in anything lying around that will make them money.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
It is a sad note for such an iconic company, but I wouldn't buy anything from Winchester on a bet. All you're doing is feeding a trash machine. They have long since given up any semblance of quality in their products.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I picked up a box and ran it through my Wilson Combat Professional. As expected, it functioned flawlessly; what I wasn't expecting was the nice, tight group it delivered at 15 yards.

Maybe it's just my gun, but I bought a case of the stuff the following week and the results are always the same.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
:biglaugh: You must flinch a lot!
Maybe they actually had a good run for a change. I would like to think that they started doing things right again, but I seriously doubt it.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
You got lucky. Be thankful.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
No problems is fine, but is a surprise in and of itself.
You say “nice size” groups, which is defined quite differently by many of our excellent marksmen on this forum. Sand bags? Freehand? What is a nice group from 15 yards to you? 12”, 8”, 5”, 3”, 1” ???? This will help me understand what your results mean. I don’t know how accomplished you are and we know there’s no problem with the weapon, so I can fill in the blanks.....:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
My stocks of Service Grade getting low (by my standards). Ordered more except for SG45SWC which I have not been able to find recently; hoarding my last few boxes of this.

Like the way it functions in my Colts & Rugers; nice accuracy hitting the steel disks at 25 yards shooting one handed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts