1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have W231 on back order at 4 different distributors. Plan on using it for the 45 Auto [200 gr LSWC], 9mm Luger [124 gr plated RN] and eventually the 380 Auto [95 gr plated RN].

Saw 8 lbs of WSF on the shelf locally and have found load data for the 45 and 9 at the Hodgdon site.

I have no experience with WSF.

Would it make a good 231 substitute for now, for both calibers ??? Would I be better off waiting for the 231 to come in ??? I have 1 lb of 231 on hand.

Trying to stick with one or two powders for my pistols. I do not compete.

Thanks for any feedback, good or bad.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wsf is a little slower than 231, but its a great all around powder that i have found to be accurate in 9/40/45. the only downside is that you will use slightly more powder than 231. i would love to grab a 8# if i could.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I picked up an 8 lb keg of WSF some time back,as 231 and HP 38 were hard to come by. It worked well in the .45 and the 38 Super. While 231 and Titegroup are my go to powders in those calibers,respectively,I like knowing I have a good backup powder in reserve.Shoot 'em up!:rock:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have used WSF in 45acp, 38 super, and .357. I use middle of the chart loads and WSF worked great in all calibers. At the reduced load in .45 it was somewhat sootie, like it better in 38 super and .357.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is proving outstanding in my cast 45 loads. I also use it for shot shell reloading.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Also picked up 8lbs WSF during the depression..will load for heavier grain .45 with the Colt dual recoil spring.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use WSF for my 9mm loads and Clays for my .45 loads. I have been very happy with both. WSF is soft shooting and fairly clean plus my local gun shop usually has a good supply so it's been easy to get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts