1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

My brand-new Dillon Square Deal is currently being kicked around by the friendly UPS union thugs somewhere between Arizona and Virginia. Some poor Iowa farmer that was waiting on a critical part for his wheat combine probably got it delivered to his back door today. He's currently wondering why an International Harvester replacement part is blue!

Anyhoo... I just got back from the gun shop where I swapped for a couple of pounds of Winchester 231 and a box of hardcast (pre lubed) 200 grain roundnose bullets. Anybody got the "mother load" for this combo? I will be using WLP primers in various cases. Thanks.

Callahan

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have had excellent results from 5.2 to over max, but 5.5, the Winchester max, is hard to beat. About 900 fps with 200 grain lead bullets.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I'll keep that one in mind. I'm hoping whatever load I choose will have excellent results. I've heard that adjusting the Dillon powder thrower is a pain. That's why I wanted a PROVEN load to start out with instead of just "winging" it. So 5.2 it is, unless someone's got something else..... {crickets}

Thanks again,
Callahan

·
Registered
177 Posts
5.2 grains is a good spot. I settled on 5.3 grains of Win231 for my 200 grn bullets. I tried 4.9, 5.3, and 5.6. 5.3 seems to be a sweet spot for my Pro Carry. At least for now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've only got about 300 rounds through my Square Deal so far, but the powder measure set up was a snap, and it is throwing extremely consistent with Winchester 231. I measure a lot just to be sure...

Frank

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also find adjusting the Dillon powder thrower a snap. I wonder exactly what the complaint is...

My personal 45 target load is a 200gr LSWC backed with 5.5gr of 231. That is the "max" load listed in the Win manual, but it's a full grain less than the Lyman max. It's accurate and soft-shooting. With my pistol, I don't get the 900fps that KLM gets out of his pistol. I get around 850, which makes the 165 power factor required for IDPA with a bit to spare.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

[This message has been edited by AKM (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I like 5.3 grains myself, but tend to use 5.5 grains in order to cover the power factor without question. Either will result in an accurate load(at least with 200 SWCs).

I tried 4.8 grains not long ago and all my 1911s hate it. Groups grew to 4"+ at 25 yards.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a pretty standard load that I have had sucess with: 200 grain LSWC (H&G #68 style) over 5.7 grains Win231, Win LPP, assorted range brass, and ~1.25" OAL. I recently chronoed this at the end of a hot day and it averaged 925 FPS w/no pressure signs. I was shooting a 5" Springfield. Take care.

------------------
"Quid hoc ad aeternitatem?"

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys. I just finished setting up the Dillon. It was much easier than I had first thought. It really helps to read the manual TWICE before even attempting to turn the first screw.

Only had enough daylight to test-fire a mag full of rounds. They were loaded with 5.3 grains and shot perfectly. Even in the waning daylight (and with the army style sights) the shots grouped tightly. After a little internet surfing, I'm gonna load up about a hundred of these gems for tomorrow.

I'm gonna find out how hard it is to wear out a Colt.

Callahan

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
My usual load is 5.8-5.9 grains (by Lyman's last 2 books). 4.5 has worked great for a wimp load that is pretty accurate out of a few of mine,but I always go back to the heavier load for real shooting and practice.The old IPSC std. was 5.8-6.0 of 231 under a 200gr,and I believe it is still a safe load.If you notice,the manuals get progressively weaker over the years.I don't know if the powder makers are changing the formula and nobody hears about it(right!),or the liability issue is in our face again(yes!).The main thing is test for your piece,and with a chrono if you can.Run off ten of every .3 or so grain to see what you like best,then fill in the gap around your choice to see if it gets the max out,or that was the best. 6.0 IS max,and some have had pressure signs and some haven't.If you use Federal or other thick cases or CCI primers,pay attention to pressure after you hit mid 5's.I use Starline or Win brass,and Win primers exclusively,and have no excess pressure signs at all.Pay attention to OAL at the top too.My top end loads are about 1.235-1.24,under the recommended 1.25 OAL also.

·
Registered
366 Posts
5.1 to 5.3 grains worked well in my full-sized 5" Kimber & Springfield, both with 16 pound recoil springs. That range satisfied the 165 power factor requirements for USPSA & IDPA, although 5.1 may be cutting it too close considering different elevation, temperature & humidity conditions. These power factor results were within the required ranges using miscellaneous brass and WLP primers. These were Laser-Cast SWC bullets. OAL was 1.245 to 1.250 with a .002 taper crimp. I looked for my actual chrono results from about a year ago, but could not find them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts