1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend I go shoot with always buys his own ammo and I shoot my reloads. At the end of each session I get all of his spent brass since he doesn't reload. (because his wife won't let him own a firearm.)

Well the last time out he bought some Winchester Winclean, and noticed all the primer pockets are for small primers. On the back of the back of the box of this ammo it recommends not reloading this brass because of the possibility of improper/inconsistent powder ignition.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried loading this stuff? :confused:

Small Pistol Magnum?
or just
Small Pistol?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have loaded these cases frequently. Felt recoil is similar to loads in nomal cases, but I don't have a chronograph so can't tell exactly what happens to velocity. To stay on the safe side, I have only used these cases for low and medium velocity loads so far. I've seen no obvious pressure signs. So far, I have used small pistol primers. I may try small rifle primers if I use these cases in overload development. I would exercise extreme caution when using magnum or rifle primers. Start a long way from maximum loads and work up.

I am a tinkerer. Pre-fired range brass is quite cheap and often free, so while I doubt there is much risk involved, I don't recommend that anyone try this without the appropriate caution.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
small pistol primers work fine . maybe mag pistol where manual
recommends it, .454 uses rifle primers I think, but pressure would
go up with rifle primers?it seems alot of pistol calibers are or have gone to small primers . cost?

·
Registered
71 Posts
bud41 said:
454 uses rifle primers I think, but pressure would
go up with rifle primers?
I suspect so. Any .45 load used with a rifle primer is going to be experimental - and potentially dangerous - and starting loads should probably be reduced further than usual.

There should be no reason at all to use them for normal loads. Most normal load data from books can probably be used in these cases with the usual pistol primers and a little caution with respect to potential underignition and pressure problems.

I had no trouble with my moderately low velocity loads, but I wouldn't be surprised if very light loads suffered underignition from the smaller primer. It's also always worth watching for pressure effects when working with unfamiliar cases.

The small pistol primer Federal NT cases I have seen so far have had an enlarged flash hole. The Win NT cases I've seen have the small primer pocket but a normal (to the eyeball) flash hole. This probably has some effect on ignition (and possibly pressure), though it may be negligible.

it seems alot of pistol calibers are or have gone to small primers . cost?
The explanation I've read most often of these .45 ACP cases is that the non-toxic primers used by Federal and Winchester are especially sensitive to moisture, so they have used a small pistol primer to reduce the circumference of the gap between primer and brass, reducing, in turn, the ammount of moisture that can leak past.

Again though, pre-fired large pistol primer cases are not expensive. For known load data, why not stick to normal cases?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not necessarily!

My experience with using rifle primers in pistol rounds is that velocity, and thusly pressure, is virtually uneffected, but standard deviation is reduced from more uniform pressures.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Not necessarily!

Pampers said:
My experience with using rifle primers in pistol rounds is that velocity, and thusly pressure, is virtually uneffected, but standard deviation is reduced from more uniform pressures.
Interesting! Perhaps I will try working up some target loads with these cases too.

·
Registered
14,965 Posts
I'm using only small rifle primers for 9mm reloading. I don't notice any difference in performance. I'll probably never buy another small pistol primer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
poor guy needs a new wife,

.357 mag dosnt need large primers, so i would think small primers would work with .45 also, should be just fine for plinking ammo.

i could be flawed, try it and find out is what i always do, just start with minimum loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts